Red Mushrooms Overtaking

jdm01

I have a 90 gallon tank. My water chemistry is in pretty good shape, but I have some red mushrooms that have started to take over the tank. I have tried everything to get rid of them, but they just keep coming back. I have tried to pull them off of the rocks and that does not work. I have even taken the rocks out of the tank and scrubbed them and they keep coming back. They are going to crash my tank if I cannot get this figured out. I know they are not poisonous, but they are killing off other coral because they attach to it and then block the light. Any ideas are appreciated.

I agree with trading them or selling them. You may want to trade rock with mushrooms for rock without mushrooms.

Have you asked your LFS to take them for store credit?

Try using bone cutter and actually cut the rock where it is attached. That is how I get the xenia's off. This way you are not killing them, and give them away or maybe trade. I take xenia to the LFS and trade with them for store credit, its not much but any thing helps in this hobby.

Thanks for the comments. The way this stuff has taken off i will have to trade out a bunck of live rock, but it will be worth it in the end. I may try the vinegar thing on the larger rocks that I hate to get rid of. The stuff is taking over.

Note to self - no more red mushrooms.

I had forgotten about INDMAS I may try there as well. Thanks everyone.

If it's populating, then you must be doing something right. Frag em, then trade it, sell it, or give em away; don't kill em!

You could try a bit of lime paste on the site where they grow. Just don't let the paste touch anything you want to keep. They also spread by detaching and floating to a new location, so that can be an issue, too.

If you want to keep the rock you can cut the shrooms off to sell and pile kalk paste over where you cut them to burn off the base or it will grow back.

Back