red sea berlin triple pass skimmer help

baby1-

one thing keeping me from using my sump isthat my skimmer pump broke anybody have any diy ideas on a venturi style attach ment for a mag drive pump or a air pump?

What I would do if I had to stay with that skimmer and a new pump was in my future:

remove the skimmer from the sump. Remove the dead pump. Remove the venturi cone. Get out the dremel, attach a sanding drum, and remove the restriction from the input port. (pictures will be posted when my wife gets home)

Order a new pump. Preferably an inexpensive one. One with a needle wheel and venturi would be great. The Octopus 1000 would work, maybe a resun, SeaLine SL-6520, or other cheap pump. Plumb the new cheap pump to the old now modified skimmer.

This won't give you a bubble king, ATI, or even a MSX. It should be adequate for your 55 though as long as it's not crammed with fish.

I know I'm getting here late but I just finished modding my berlin skimmer and it seems like it is going to be great. I just took out the stock venturi and capped it off then added a Kent 3/4 venturi in front of where the stock one was. I'm using a mag 9.5 to drive it and for the first time ever it is skimming like crazy. Still haven't got it adjusted out, that's what I was trying to figure out when I ran across your post. Hope this helps. Here is a link to that some info about that valve.
http://www.kentmarine.com/products/venturi-valves.htm

Back