Red Sea Pro MG Test Kit WAY Off, Help

demariners

Work In Progress
So I am using the Mag kit from Red Sea pro. I have read the directions and have watched the videos. For some reason each test I am doing I put the ENTIRE 1ML of titration in and still never changes to blue. I then put at least .02 more and then it changes. So in theory that would indicate my tanks MG is 1800+. I am highly doubting this as I used a salifert and it read at 1430. Can someone perhaps tell me if they have ever experienced this and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have tried contacting red sea with no solution as of yet.

If I remember correctly you have to add a drop and shake for 15 seconds 5 times. If you're doing that correctly it should work. You might have a bad test kit.

Bump...

I have now purchased 3 of these MG kits and the results are still the same. What am I doing wrong?

You are supposed to use 2ML of tank water. Then 5 drops of A (Waiting 15 seconds between each drop), then 5 drops of B, then wait for a minute.

EVERY TIME is goes to about .92 or .90. I have tested this multiple times over the last week and it always indicates a MG of around 1800 or 1700. Both my Salifert and my Elos kit read at about 1390-1450. What can I be doing wrong?

You could try using 1 ml tank water and 1ml RO/DI water mixed together to test. Then multiply your results x2. See what your ball park level is from that.

Yes I have went ahead and tried to "dilute" the sample on other tests. It appears the results are usually not even close. I have yet to try MG but I guess it is worth it.

I noticed a couple of years ago when the Red Sea Pro series of tests came out and I ran them side by side with the Salifert tests that I usually use that the magnesium test was the one that didn't closely match the Salifert results, the Red Sea test results were around 200ppm higher than the Salifert. Your results are higher than that, but not that much higher.

So what does that mean? Does that mean the Red Sea is off or the salifert is? I guess a level of 1400+ is good regardless but I just want to make sure before I start dosing MG.

Back