Red Sea Reef Foundation B - pH Difference Between Powder and Liquid

GreenTankCorals

Out of curiosity, I put a pH probe (Neptune Apex, recently calibrated) in the freshly made solution using the Reef Foundation B powder (exactly per instructions) and was quite surprised to find the pH reading of 8.25. I also have their pre made liquid bottle and the pH reads around 12.

Does anyone have an explanation? All the other alkalinity solutions I have used in the past seemed to have much higher pH than 8.25.

Last edited:
That pH does seem low, even for a sodium bicarbonate solution, I think. How concentrated is the solution supposed to be? How much dry supplement goes into a gallon of water?

I tried the Red Sea reef foundation products because my LFS started carrying them and I try to support my LFS.

I bought the liquid set and used them. They were fine so when I ran out I bought the larger, dry set and mixed my own. The calcium had a horrible looking brown precipitate. The Alk wasn't anywhere near the strength of the liquid Alk, and yes, I double checked that I had mixed it correctly. The Mag was also weak in concentration.

I never checked pH but I had to add significantly more part B to equal the liquid.

I'm no longer using the RS products.

While searching the forums, I came across this from Red Sea. I wish they would explain this somewhere in the manual. Not knowing this issue would cause under-dosing or over-dosing for people moving from powder to liquid or vice versa.

The first thing I'd like to point out is that Foundation B does not mix to the same strength as our liquid Foundation it is only 1/3rd of the strength so when dosing Foundation B stock solution 3ml per 100 litres will raise the dKH by 0.1 per 25 gal or 100 litres.

While searching the forums, I came across this from Red Sea. I wish they would explain this somewhere in the manual. Not knowing this issue would cause under-dosing or over-dosing for people moving from powder to liquid or vice versa.

The first thing I'd like to point out is that Foundation B does not mix to the same strength as our liquid Foundation it is only 1/3rd of the strength so when dosing Foundation B stock solution 3ml per 100 litres will raise the dKH by 0.1 per 25 gal or 100 litres.

I just re-read the entire RS instructions pdf that I linked above and this is NOT mentioned anywhere.

Wouldn't you thnk that's important !

I know I won't be buying ANYTHING from Red Sea again !

Back