red slime algea

skeet1

Have had my 29 going for about 2yrs now. Well stocked with corals, 5 small fish, dozens of crabs & snails, 40# l/r 2" sand bed. Have 1-250 mh retro and 2 65w pcs. Beckett skimmer in sump with fuge with cheato. Mh runs for 4hr in the eve. I have just now started getting a red slime outbreak. Have not changed anything in the way of lighting or feeding in 6mnths. Any ideas as to why? Added 8 drops of Kent poly-ox this morning and now have a huge Emerald crab that I've had since the beginning croak over on me. I don't know if it was just his time but I doubt it- he's had enuff energy up till today to flip anything that wasn't glued down solid. Any thoughts welcome. Curt :confused:

The only change to my flow was adding a mag 12 with a hydor rotating wave maker head without the bio-sponge. Which I added for my acros. That should have increased my flow. It didn't increase my temp or anything like that. Temp right now is 78.7. Curt

Check nitrate and phosphate levels. Elevated levels of these chemicals usually brings these things on. Siphon out as much as you can. Siphon out as much detritus as possible from the main tank as well as the refugium if you have one. Treat if you have no other choice.

make sure flow is random enough to reach everywhere at some point - as you're probably aware, dead spots can be a contributing factor. Percula is correct to recommend checking for phosphates. Are you using RO/DI water for your top off and changes? other culprits are flake food and not mixing salt water long enough

Back