Red Slime remover....skimmer overflowing..

mike810

treated for red slime last week. did a water change a few days after the treatment. Changed out the carbon and thought it removed all the chemi clean red slime remover but my skimmer keeps overflowing. should i do another water change and change out the carbon again?

treated for red slime last week. did a water change a few days after the treatment. Changed out the carbon and thought it removed all the chemi clean red slime remover but my skimmer keeps overflowing. should i do another water change and change out the carbon again?

percentage?

even with water changes it will still do it turn skimmer flow down it will work itself out especially with the carbon takes a couple days

I would keep running a lot of fresh carbon and do some 10% water changes. I agree that the problem will go away on its own eventually.

i have changed out the carbon once already. should i change it out again? it's been about 3-4 days since i changed out the carbon. I have the skimmer at the lowest setting but it still over flows.

Mike, Red slim remover will cause a skimmer to go nuts for days. I doubt carbon will help much. 1 or 2 more water changes and you should be back to normal.

I personally will never use that product again. For many reasons.

So i've done serveral 25% water changes. Changed out my carbon 2 times. I just added a poly filter and my skimmer is still over flowing. Should i just do a 100% water change? it's been like 1 1/2 -2 weeks now after treatment.

I have found if it's an insump skimmer if you let it run a few minutes it will calm down and go ahead and work as normal.
Works like this every time I have treated with red slime remover. It must have some leftover in the skimmer body.
You may need to open your skimmer overflow wide open for a little while and adjust as necessary until you reach normal leval and production.

I have found if it's an insump skimmer if you let it run a few minutes it will calm down and go ahead and work as normal.
Works like this every time I have treated with red slime remover. It must have some leftover in the skimmer body.
You may need to open your skimmer overflow wide open for a little while and adjust as necessary until you reach normal leval and production.

my skimmer has been set to the lowest setting, air wide open. i tried letting it run despite the over flowing and lost about 5-6 cups of water from my swc160 before i gave up. i even took the skimmer out of the sump to clean it of all rsr residue.

Have you been running any carbon?

I might try running the skimmer and replacing the overflow with fresh saltwater, if that's not too much work.

I might try running the skimmer and replacing the overflow with fresh saltwater, if that's not too much work.

Thats what I did, it seems the first thing it skimmed out was the meds. After skimming about 2 or 3 gallons over about 2 hr period it went back to normal.

Have you been running any carbon?

i've been running fresh carbon, about 3 batches now. I did try letting the skimmer run and tossing out the cup when it gets full but it kept over flowing. maybe i'll let it run longer and see how that goes.

lol bertoni and dan223, you guys are geniuses. i hooked up a hose to the drain in my collection cup and let it drain into a bucket. turned the skimmer on and let it run for 30 mins. It has stopped overflowing now. i will leave it this way till morning time. THANKS GUYS!!!!

lol bertoni and dan223, you guys are geniuses. i hooked up a hose to the drain in my collection cup and let it drain into a bucket. turned the skimmer on and let it run for 30 mins. It has stopped overflowing now. i will leave it this way till morning time. THANKS GUYS!!!!

Next time, just take the skimmer cup off and let it flow back into the sump....won't hurt anything.

Back