Red Slime that will not go away 28gal nano

Elric61

I have a 28 gal nano cube, currently has 20 lb of sand 30 lb of live rock. I have a Royal Gamma and a Shrimp Goby Barbershop as occupants.

The cleaning crew consists of 2 Mexican turbo, 4 Florida turbo, 5 Nassariusl snails, 20 blue leg hermits, and 3 jade hermits and a lettuce nudibranch.

My coral in this tank is a small cluster of orange Ricordea, Green Star Polyp (growing nicely up the side of the tank) and a brain coral open red.

My problem is I have had a serious growth of green algae and purple scales that grow on the glass, and red slime that has been growing in the corner under the water outlet. I have been pulling the green algae out by hand and scrapping the scales from the glass and sucking out the red slime but in a few days everything is right back to where it was.
A couple of days ago I followed some advise and removed the blue filter sponges and cleaned them stirred the sand and then did a 5 gal water change (I normally only do about 2 gals once a month tank is 11 months old) Now the green algae has reduced but is still there, I have noticed that caulerpa was growing in the rocks under the green algae and now the red slime has moved to the whole bottom of the tank. I keep moving the sand around to remove the red slime but it just keeps come back.

Any suggestions????

Mitsuko

Increase flow to reduce red slime (It likes dead spots). Find the source of the problem. What kind of water do you use? Tap, Ro/Di, LFS, etc?

MJT82

+1 on what Mitsuko said... Cyano likes excess nutrients and low flow areas... Describe your water flow... And, what/how often are you feeding your tank?

Elric61

I buy water from the pet store red sea brand.
My last test was 1.026 salt
380 calc
0 nitrite and nitrate
and .1 po4

Elric61

the pump is a 260 gal hr standard equipment with the nano. and I feed about 2-3 times a week very small amounts.

ximmortaldeathx

check for phosphates, also are you running a skimmer, i used to have red cyano and once i installed my tunze it went away so a protein skimmer is usually the best solution. get some ferric oxide to lower your phosphates.

good luck!

Elric61

Yes I have a skimmer in the second chamber with the pump.
po4 is phosphates the test was .1

I have also added a picture to my profile of my problem tank, if looking will help

Agu

Premium Member
I'm not familiar with Red Sea brand water, but it sounds like premixed saltwater? Is that what it is? What do you use for topoff water to replace evaporation?

You're not overstocked and you underfeed so my suspicion the water may be an issue.

Elric61

Yes the store sells red sea salt and water they mix themselfs.
I use one gallon distilled water from walmart.

I was thinking that maybe I have to much bio matter in the sump. would that cause the problem?
Have been considering removing the sponges and balls from the sump and letting the system just cycle with out any filtration just to see.

Agu

Premium Member
If you have filtration sponges and bioballs that could certainly be part of the problem. The filtration traps waste where it breaks down to basic nutrients that feed algae. Unless you clean that filtration often it's a potential problem.

I also wouldn't completely trust water mixed at an LFS unless I saw the RO/DI for source water and personally saw the results of a TDS meter. Not to insult the integrity of your LFS but I know of more than one LFS that used tap water to reduce costs.

Elric61

I pulled out the two sponge filters then sucked out about two gal of water (to remove red slime). Replacing the water with store bought (they warranty my fish and inverts w/their water since I bought all my fish and inverts from them). After all this water was extreamly cloudy for about 2 hours before clearing up. I have also ordered a Hydor Koralia Nano 240 gph reef powerhead to try to help with flow.

E.intheC

I agree with almost all advice on the this thread, especially the increased flow, phosphate source (using a GFO like Phosban or related product will help here), and water source. I don't agree that red slime remover is a good idea. Even if it removes the red slime and doesn't kill any beneficial life, it's not addressing the cause of the problem, so the red slime will come back.

What skimmer do you have? It may not be pulling out enough gunk

manhorsedog

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14829481#post14829481 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E.intheC
I agree with almost all advice on the this thread, especially the increased flow, phosphate source (using a GFO like Phosban or related product will help here), and water source. I don't agree that red slime remover is a good idea. Even if it removes the red slime and doesn't kill any beneficial life, it's not addressing the cause of the problem, so the red slime will come back.

What skimmer do you have? It may not be pulling out enough gunk

i tried everything you mentioned to get my redslime to go away and that slime remover was the only thing that worked (quickly). After the slime was gone i have not seen it again for over seven months now, and counting.

all im saying is that it is an option that WILL work, if it will stay away is up to you.

Elric61

Manhorsedog I have tried the red slime remover several times worked at first but now nothing.

After removing the the sponges I have noticed the water seems clearer and the green algea is starting to die off. Red slime is gone in most areas but is still hanging out under the power head.

I still have not recieved my additional power head hoping that will work.

E.intheC my skimmer is The Fission Nano-Skimmer

E.intheC

you might want to upgrade your skimmer.. I've heard nothing but bad things (and actually owned it myself, back when I was just starting).. algae blooms are very often caused by nutrient spikes. Good skimmers help this tremendously.

Bebo77

Premium Nonpaying Member
feed less, run carbon, lessen the hours your lights are on, do more water changes

dustinc

Honestly, you're probably having uneaten food settling in dead spots. If you're going to get a red slime remover get chimi-clean. It's like 10 bucks and hands down the best. It gets rid of all of it in 48 hours and I've never had a problem since, but at that point I turned my pumps off during feeding and grabbed any uneaten food out of the tank. JMO