Reducing Return Line to tank

Adams11s

Hey Guys. I have a quick question. I just got a Sicce Pro 4000 return pump for my sump. My setup goes through a manifold into the one return line in my reef ready tank. My problem is the manifold and all of the piping measures 3/4 PVC and the pump exits at 1".

Is it safe to put a bushing/reducer to 3/4 so it will fit my manifold and my 3/4 return in the tank?

unless that's a basement sump, that is way to strong a pump.

you only need about 300-400 GPH for a sump

you may have drain issues, and very noisy at that

unless that's a basement sump, that is way to strong a pump.

you only need about 300-400 GPH for a sump

you may have drain issues, and very noisy at that

How would you know? Doesn't say the tank size, number of 90's, vertical height, or stuff on the manifold. He also is adding friction by reducing the pipe size. That pump is rated at 1000gph.

How would you know? .

Experience.

1000gph is to much for a single 3/4 return period.

If he has a single 3/4 return, it is unlikely he has 2 X 1 inch return drains that would flood out, or make to much noise over 500GPH.

Use common sense

U can but it would kill the flow. It will be like having a valve that is halfway closed at the pump.

Experience.

1000gph is to much for a single 3/4 return period.

If he has a single 3/4 return, it is unlikely he has 2 X 1 inch return drains that would flood out, or make to much noise over 500GPH.

Use common sense

He wouldn't get a 1000gph with head loss plus 90's and he's going to bleed speed off with the manifold. On top of that with a smaller pipe he's adding a lot of friction. I agree it's set up wrong though. I would not restrict a pump by down sizing the pipe on the out put.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. It is going through a lot in the manifold and Works great. I of course understand a little loss in flow, but was more concerned if it would hurt the pump. Sicce told me it wouldn't cause any harm as it is designed to handle it. Flow is great and quiet ��

Decreasing the output plumbing size (or using a valve to reduce flow) is no different whatsoever than increasing the head height. You will be fine. Too much resistance from whatever the source will just decrease output.

You can always "restrict" the outlet of the pumps we use without any problems..

DO NOT do the same for the inlet of the pumps or you risk "cavitation" which can damage a pump quickly..

And by "manifold" did you mean you are running additional reactors,etc.. of that hence why you wanted an "oversized" pump for the application?

Back