gcarroll

REEF-A-PALOOZA 2012
Orange County
Fair Grounds
Costa Mesa, CA

Saturday, October 20, 2012 10AM-6PM
Sunday, October 21, 2012 10AM- 4PM

RAP_Final_Marine.jpg

Reef-A-Palooza provides the perfect venue for marine aquarium hobbyists to meet fellow enthusiasts, exchange information, and trade, and learn about new products. One of our main goals at Reef-A-Palooza, and within SCMAS, is to educate and enlighten the public with the latest knowledge in marine animal husbandry skills and environmental responsibility. For instance, SCMAS fully encourages the rapid advancement and allure of coral propagation as a viable alternative to wild harvest collection practices. As such, many of our booth exhibitors are local hobbyists who grow their own corals specifically to sell and trade at Reef-A-Palooza and similar events. SCMAS thoroughly encourages this type of “green commerce” for both the betterment and future of our hobby, as well as the resulting benefit to the marine environment.

Southern California is one of the most prolific areas in the world for the marine hobby in terms of retail, supply, and demographics. The density of marine aquarium hobbyists living within the greater LA, San Diego and Orange County area is simply phenomenal! As such, we fully leverage this advantage by properly directing resources to proactively promote Reef-A-Palooza far in advance of the actual event. Significant effort is made to advertise the event effectively, such as posting abundant signs, distributing postcards, and providing other similar displays to various retail locations. Booth rates are extremely reasonable and affordable.

Reef-A-Palooza is focused mainly to cater to the exhibitor and hobbyist, rather than as an educational conference. As such, we tend to attract customers who come specifically for the purpose of viewing and seeing all the different exhibitor’s booths and displays. Nonetheless, speakers, opportunity drawings, and other entertainment are provided to help keep people around for most of the day, even after seeing all the booths. In addition, our promotional and marketing efforts are nearly guaranteed to attract high participation and attendance rates, and hence, heavy foot-traffic throughout the building. RAP 2012 is going to be HUGE this year due to the popularity of its venue (Orange County Fair & Exposition Center, Building #18) as well as the number of sellers, exhibitors, and manufacturers involved. We have 30,000+ square feet of indoor, climate-controlled space in which to make this event a resounding success. Now into its eigth year, Reef-A-Palooza has quickly gained the reputation as an event that is NOT to be missed!

I was just talking to my wife about this. We're both really excited.

Are there usually a lot corals and frags for sale? Is it just vendors that sell stuff or are there just regular people selling as well?

Any strategies for getting good stuff?

Discuss.

HAHAHA Lawrence, These are for Greg. He got me to use the Dr Tims. You know you can have these pretty much any meeting... But i guess i can squeeze a few for you :)

High end SPS! Looking for that and a whole bunch of dendros and mini max clams
~
Also looking to speak to some people about a switch from Halides to LED

Awesome! THE event of the year. Is it just me, but does it seem much larger (that's what she said) this year???

Do vendors sell off their equipment and/or tanks? I'm looking for a new shallow tank and wondering if I could get one from a vendor.

Are there usually a lot corals and frags for sale? Is it just vendors that sell stuff or are there just regular people selling as well?
There are plenty of exhibitors with only the nicest corals in the business. Many have found that if there corals are not up to RAP standards, they won't make any money! Right now just exhibiitor's selling. If we hear about more interest in hobbyist wanting to sell we can make room for that too. Right now only a couple requests have been made.
Any strategies for getting good stuff?
Get there early on Saturday!

Last edited:
RAP will be lots of fun as usual! I'm winning some good raffles this year... been getting skunked lately and need to keep up my reputation.

are there coupons out there somewhere for $5 off admission? there was the past few years...
Wait... there are coupons for this show?

I would answer but I think it's easier to have you search for them. Hint, look in magazines and catalogs that are marine aquarium related.

Back