Reef Chili - How much do you guys use?

Jmunk

They say to use 1/2 cup of water, or almost the full bottle it comes with.

Do use guys use the whole bottle per feeding? That seems like a WHOLE lot of food lol.

Are you sure the instructions say use a half cup of food, or does it say to put a small amount in a half cup of tank water?

Are you sure the instructions say use a half cup of food, or does it say to put a small amount in a half cup of tank water?
Yes, that's what I mentioned above. Half a cup of water.

I know it's small amounts of food (4 little cups for me), but you guys use the entire bottle for one feed session?

No you definitely don't want to add the entire bottle. The instrutions say to use 1 scoop/20 gallons and use 1/2 cup of water to mix. FWIW the spoon is tiny.

I order a large bottle, 1.5 oz, about every 5 months to feed my 160.

No you definitely don't want to add the entire bottle. The instrutions say to use 1 scoop/20 gallons and use 1/2 cup of water to mix. FWIW the spoon is tiny.

I order a large bottle, 1.5 oz, about every 5 months to feed my 160.
Ok, so I guess a couple squirts here or there a few times a week.

Squirts?
Is this a different type of reef chili?
Mine came with a tiny spoon, and it's a powder.
I use like a couple tiny spoonfuls in a cup of water.

I follow the instructions on the bottle. I measure out 1/2 cup tank water and add it to the reef chili squeeze bottle. I then add 1 leveled scoop per 20g of capacity, which in my case is 4 scoops since I have a 75g DT.

For what it's worth, I do this less than once a week because I have only lps and p's n z's. The last thing I want to do is blow up my tank with excess nutrients.

You dump the entire contents into the tank. Not the whole bottle of Reef Chili, but the entire cup of water you have mixed the recommended amount for your tank in.

You dump the entire contents into the tank. Not the whole bottle of Reef Chili, but the entire cup of water you have mixed the recommended amount for your tank in.
Yes, this is what I do too.. The squirt bottle is for target feeding, as far as I can tell. It's what I use it for, anyway.

I mix up the squeeze bottle as per instructions, and keep it in the fridge all week. then either late at night right before bed, or early morning I give it a couple of big squirts infront of the vortechs, all my SPS and LPS already have their feeders out at that time.

4 tiny scoops go into the provided squeeze bottle they include. Shut off all pumps. Wait until water is completely still. Slowly target feed or crop dust the fluid over every coral colony. Leave water still for 10-20 minutes. Powerheads back on. Return pump/skimmer off for 1-2 hours. I do this 3-4 days a week during the lights out or sometimes the dawn phase (I run blue LEDs only for 4 hours before the lights truely ramp up and the halides come on). Does it work? Who knows. It's cheap enough to try though. It definitely triggers an intense and immediate feeding response in all Lps corals and the Nassarius snails come out so to some degree it must be edible.

Edit: and unless you're running a mason jar as your reef tank, how is one squeeze bottle considered a lot? It's mostly tank water

I don't understand the concern. It doesn't matter the amount the bottle holds it matters how much food you mix into that bottle. If your using 2 small scoops it's only 2 small scoops regardless if you had it in that bottle or a milk carton..

I don't understand the concern. It doesn't matter the amount the bottle holds it matters how much food you mix into that bottle. If your using 2 small scoops it's only 2 small scoops regardless if you had it in that bottle or a milk carton..

This ^^^^

The OP is over complicating things. ;)

Just FYI, don't make a whole bunch and think you're going to save it and "squirt" it over the course of a few days. I did that and the smell was UNBELIEVABLE. Literally the worst thing I've ever smelled. I had to toss that little bottle, I ruined it. You would open it and almost instantly an area anywhere within 10 feet you could smell it.

I take a small cup of tank water, little plastic cup, and throw two spoon fulls in.. Swirl around for 30 seconds, and then target feed it with Julian's thing.

Just FYI, don't make a whole bunch and think you're going to save it and "squirt" it over the course of a few days. I did that and the smell was UNBELIEVABLE. Literally the worst thing I've ever smelled. I had to toss that little bottle, I ruined it. You would open it and almost instantly an area anywhere within 10 feet you could smell it.

I take a small cup of tank water, little plastic cup, and throw two spoon fulls in.. Swirl around for 30 seconds, and then target feed it with Julian's thing.
Yeah, thanks, cause this is what I was planning on doing LOL.

Back