Reef Cleaners

AxiomOfthruth

I'm thinking of putting in an order with Reef Cleaners I have a 150 gal tank and wanted to know if I really need to order the 150 gal pack from them?

Only if you don't have any cleaners already. And depends on your tank condition. Most likely you only need what is suggested for a 75. Start off slow, if you add a bunch they will only die off once the algae/ food is eaten.

i would also recommend 1/4th the cleaner pack of ur tank. inverts dont do well in shipping nor acclimation and u will lose a lot as there wont be very much algae and stuff available in ur tank. add u need them.

The cleaner packs are way overkill, IMO. You are better off buying your CUC individually as needed from your LFS. This way you can tailor how many as well as of what type depending on your tank needs, your feeding habits, the bioload, etc, etc, etc. It may look like the packs are a volume bargain, but not if half to two thirds die off from starvation or just being the wrong type for your tank.

completely agree with Palting. Fish store put out packs just as an attraction to new reefers. most die due to stress in shipping and acclimation and more worst starve to death in ur tank as young tanks dont have enough to support such large quantity of critters.
i would definitely buy CUC but if u can buy local it will reduce stress of shipping and u can always buy what exactly u need. online is not bad but start slow and in few quantities.

At reefcleaners, you can also individually select how many of what type of critters you want. I plan to do this when my new tank is set up, as even with the shipping cost it is still much more cost effective than my expensive LFS (about $3+ per snail... ouch).

The cleaner packs are way overkill, IMO. You are better off buying your CUC individually as needed from your LFS. This way you can tailor how many as well as of what type depending on your tank needs, your feeding habits, the bioload, etc, etc, etc. It may look like the packs are a volume bargain, but not if half to two thirds die off from starvation or just being the wrong type for your tank.

+1.

Don't forget, YOU are the first defence when it comes down to keeping a tank clean. (husbandry) Having the "least" amount of janitors is really what you want IMO. GL.

You can go with their custom clean up crews based on what your bio load is, did this and it worked for me. They will email you on what they think you need, then you can either order those all or just half of what they suggested.

Hands down with what I got from them, the dwarf ceriths are more than what I bought, all are alive and the acclimation is not hard at all, only float them for 15 min and then throw all of them in. As of today mine are still all alive and working hard to make my tank nice and clean.

They are great at making you a custom crew. I got my order in this week (Monday). on the custom crew page simply state this is what I have, this is what I plan on, this is the size of tank, this is the age of tank. John set me up with a pack for now, what I should order later and what I may want to add later. He will send you recommendations you decide. Keep in mind my buddy ordered 30 snails ended up with 130ish, I ordered 200 and got around 350 (and a hermit!). They ALWAYS send extras!

When I set up my 180 I bought 5 turbo snails, 10 small hermits, and 3 emerald crabs. After 2 weeks 2 crabs were dead. One had 4 legs missing one morning so I assumed the other crab is at fault. I added a lawnmower blenny when the hair algae really broke out and yesterday one more big turbo. This combo is really working well in my 180. I would go with a small number to start and buy local even if it is a little more expensive per snail. Then add a little every weekend or so as needed. This is my first experience but the advice on this forum has kept this process very easy.

Back