Reef Complete - The Strontium Within

old salty

Genius
Premium Member
Dr. Farley,

I am making references to the article in which you wrote, "Strontium and the Reef Aquarium."

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2003/chem.htm

The product in question is called, "Seachem Reef Complete" which I purchased at the LFS.

RC1.jpg

My curiosity is based upon this statement on the label of "Seachem Reef Complete":

RC2.jpg

It is not my desire to discuss the benefits (or lack thereof) of adding additional strontium to an aquarium. I am inquiring about the ratio of 100:5:0.1 (Ca:Mg:Sr) and how this particular ratio would apply to yours or mine, or any other person's tank on this site. On the front of the bottle, it states that it "raises" Ca and "maintains" Mg and Sr. On the side of the bottle, it states one can "maintain" Mg and Sr while "maintaining" Ca. I will be the first to admit that the confusion still hasn't worn off, but it did raise a few questions with regards to the use of multi-additive......additives; this one in particular.

Is this particular ratio the same as what a typical reef aquarium would utilize?

I will make my additional inquiries based upon your answer to my first question.

Thanks for your time!!!

That's probably their guess as to a typical ratio, but tanks can and do very widely in their Mg consumption, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Sr ratio varies, too. The product should be fine to use for the short term, although I'd find something else for the long haul, personally. It's not much of a risk in any case, most likely, though.

I've used Reef Complete for years and have had no issues with it. The strontium in it is a non issue IMO, and as Bertoni said, the magnesium will vary with different tank types.

I used reef complete because of the potency of the calcium which is much stronger than most products. It is as potent as Turbo calcium. So I figured a little extra Sr and Mg wouldn't hurt..... and it hasn't. :)

That said, it is not very economical if you have a large tank. 75 gal or less, I'd say it is a pretty good buy.

It is interesting that SeaChem states the rate of use of calcium to strontium is 100:0.01 & Randy states in his article:

"In the abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate from seawater (by the slow addition of carbonate), strontium is incorporated into the growing crystal at almost the same ratio to calcium that is present in the seawater. That is, about 103:1, Ca:Sr (at 25 °C).25 Interestingly, the amount of strontium incorporated is slightly lower at higher temperatures (105:1 at 30 °C), and slightly higher at lower temperatures (97:1 at 10 °C).13,25"

That's a large discrepancy. ;)

It is a big difference. I do not know what they based their numbers on. The rational for my numbers are in the article, and I do not know anything different at the moment.

Even confusion about weight based comparisions to numbers of atoms comparisons (strontium is heavier than calcium) do not come close to explaining that difference.

It is interesting that SeaChem states the rate of use of calcium to strontium is 100:0.01 & Randy states in his article:

"In the abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate from seawater (by the slow addition of carbonate), strontium is incorporated into the growing crystal at almost the same ratio to calcium that is present in the seawater. That is, about 103:1, Ca:Sr (at 25 °C).25 Interestingly, the amount of strontium incorporated is slightly lower at higher temperatures (105:1 at 30 °C), and slightly higher at lower temperatures (97:1 at 10 °C).13,25"

That's a large discrepancy. ;)

This statement is pretty much spot on with regards as to why I asked my first question; the disparity between the two is my concern.

Before I get to my second question, I would like to point out that I have no idea how much strontium is in my tank, the salt that I use, or how much of it is depleted during any given time period. In other words, I don't own a Sr test kit. For the sake of this discussion, lets say my tank also has 15ppm of Sr; a bit higher than NSW. My concern isn't with the short term use of this product. My LFS has made me an offer if I ordered it by the case (or several cases in my......case) and the Mg and Sr that this product contains has me a bit concerned.

With the ratio of Ca, Mg, and Sr beings what they are in the product and I use this product to maintain the Ca level in my tank, will the use of this product "maintain" the proper Mg and Sr levels?

Just to clarify, the Ca additive which I have been using for years does not have any additional Mg or Sr in it. I am trying to discern whether or not I want to use a Ca additive which contains Mg and Sr. If it turns out that the additional additives can be cause long term concerns, I would like to find out ahead of time.

I don't think any one can give you a definite answer. At the end of the day it comes down to your tank's needs and what your goal is. A first step would be to understand how your tank depeletes Mg and Sr. You may find that this product does not sufficiently deliver Mg to maintain the level you desire, or it may deliver too much. How will frequent water changes affect this? The same is true for Sr. My view is that there is no clean cut recipe for success, understanding is the key.

gl

I do not know of any mechanisms for strontium depletion that occur in a typical reef tank that have calcium ratios vastly different than I quote (except water changes with variable amounts of clacum and strontium). The ratios do not seem to vary as much as magnesium/calcium does when organisms use it.

With the ratio of Ca, Mg, and Sr beings what they are in the product and I use this product to maintain the Ca level in my tank, will the use of this product "maintain" the proper Mg and Sr levels?

I expect not, with respect to strontium. My guess is that they are being very cautious with respect to strontium overdose.

Back