Reef crystals or Coral pro?

Reef crystals or Coral pro?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lynnmw1208

So I am looking to switch to a more reef friendly salt as my calcium keeps dropping to 400 between water changes... What do you guys prefer between these 2 brands? Instant ocean reef crystals or Red sea coral pro? They are pretty similar in price. What are your opinions on them?

They both are high in calcium, so it depends on what you want alk at

RC has high alk, coral pro is low

yeah right now my alk is at 8 dkh and I would like it to be around 9-10 I think, it just seems to be dropping slowly on just instant ocean. I don't have too many corals, but I plan on more so I might as well get new salt.

RC will probably win your poll because probably 20 times more people have used it. I used RC for a little over year, but am moving to a lower alk. Hence I've switched to Instant Ocean and add Cal and Mag. I find this to be the cheapest solution to get the levels I want. Plus IO has a very lengthy track record. Ask your favorite LFS what they use on their tanks and its probably IO(although it may be doctored).

Red Sea Coral Pro, I tried Reef Crystals and I didnt like it at all, had a lot of calcium build up and it just never read consistant readings. I switched to Seachem Reef Salt and it was good but I keopt wanting to try Red Sea Coral Pro and I did and I havent looked back my corals look so much better. Oh and Dr's Fosters and Smith is shipping free with a purchase of $49 or over no exceptions I placed an order this morning

RC will probably win your poll because probably 20 times more people have used it. I used RC for a little over year, but am moving to a lower alk. Hence I've switched to Instant Ocean and add Cal and Mag. I find this to be the cheapest solution to get the levels I want. Plus IO has a very lengthy track record. Ask your favorite LFS what they use on their tanks and its probably IO(although it may be doctored).

My LFS uses red sea coral pro salt this is why I asked. He was raving over it and told me most people like instant ocean because it dissolves faster. He said the coral pro kept better levels. This is the reason for the poll as I have always used instant ocean and now have decided to do reef.

Red Sea Coral Pro, I tried Reef Crystals and I didnt like it at all, had a lot of calcium build up and it just never read consistant readings. I switched to Seachem Reef Salt and it was good but I keopt wanting to try Red Sea Coral Pro and I did and I havent looked back my corals look so much better. Oh and Dr's Fosters and Smith is shipping free with a purchase of $49 or over no exceptions I placed an order this morning

I saw the sale that is why I was debating between the 2. Instant ocean is on sale as well as the free shipping.

Thats the best way to find a salt you like is just try them. I tried Instant Ocean, Coralife, Reef Crystals, Seachem Reef, and then finally Red Sea Coral Pro and that seemed to fit my tank the best. The Seachem I also liked just seemed to have low Alk and very high calcium

I've tried several types myself and finally came to the conclusion that Red Sea Coral Pro fit my tank best. As Kissman said, try the different brands until you find the right one.

I was using Reef Crystal but batches were all different. I then switched to Oceanic salt (high Ca and high Mg) I did like it better. I just change to Tropic Marin Salt and I have to say it is the best salt ever!! IMO

At the moment I use Coral Pro. The new formula has a higher alk level. The alk is now 12 dkH, the older formula was around 7.5 dkH. Ive used both in the past and like them both.

I'm currently using Reef Crystals. The first few times I did water changes, they were great. But now it seems they're not dissolving as fast as they used to.

But the Ca levels are always 400 on every batch I mix for WC's. I was hoping for something higher, but it seems that all I can get out of it.

wow, didn't know about new alk level. it's a close call now.

Just make sure that waht you get is in the black bucket thats the new formula. with the new formula my calcium is always 440 and Alk is always 11-12. My tank always seems to use right much Alk so I add with top off water but it stays at 11-12 now!

I should also add that 1 big reason a lot of people use Reef Crystals is it is usually easier to find in your local store and its a little cheaper

RC always left too much in the mixing bucket for me. What about the brightwell? Dr fos has that too. Or mix half io and half rc

Back