Reef Octopus 110 or Eshopps psk 75 skimmer

Kahlypso

I am setting up a 58 gallon saltwater tank and this is my first tank. I have a sump and was going to buy a reef octopus 110 int protein skimmer. A friend has a brand new in box Eshopps psk 75 protein skimmer that hes willing to sell cheap. Is the Eshopps worth it? or should i just buy a more expensive skimmer? Both will fit in my sump, i just want to know which brand is better, if anybody has any experience with either skimmer id love to know how they work over the long run!

How cheap is cheap? Being that you don't really need a skimmer to have a happy healthy reef tank to begin with, I would go with the Eshopps. You can always upgrade down the road if you NEED to. GL.

I have an Eshopps PSK100 and it works great. I'm pulling out thick black gunk fairly regularly. But I would check what your friend is selling it for and see if its a good deal versus retail prices.

Yea I just asked him how much he wants. I can get the octopus skimmer from Petco (I have a decent mount in rewards) and I've found the eshopps one online for around 100. So I'm gunna see what he wants for it.

But its good to know they're not horrible skimmers. Lol. Might be a good starter skimmer if the price is right.

For a 75, I think I paid $80 new. Selling mine for 40 , only 3 months old. Not that it's worth shipping, just giving you an idea .

No disrespect, but as hard as it can be, I don't suggest settling for something with the goal of upgrading later. From computer components to aquarium accessories, you will always lose a fortune this way, and wish you had waited to buy quality from the beginning.

My 2 cents, but I've been there and done that more times than I care to admit.

Again, no offense intended, all due respect. I've done it many times myself, and sometimes had no choice. But if you have the option, my suggestion is to take the hit initially, you'll be happier in the long run.

For a 75, I think I paid $80 new. Selling mine for 40 , only 3 months old. Not that it's worth shipping, just giving you an idea .

No disrespect, but as hard as it can be, I don't suggest settling for something with the goal of upgrading later. From computer components to aquarium accessories, you will always lose a fortune this way, and wish you had waited to buy quality from the beginning.

My 2 cents, but I've been there and done that more times than I care to admit.

Again, no offense intended, all due respect. I've done it many times myself, and sometimes had no choice. But if you have the option, my suggestion is to take the hit initially, you'll be happier in the long run.

Can I buy your 75? are you selling it here on RC?

Actually, someone is supposed to come pick it up today. If that falls through, I can sell it to ya. Sorry hadn't checked my texts yet this morning

Sorry for the late response, I guess my email was putting the notification emails in my junk folder! ><

And he wanted $100, if it was super cheap I would have done it, but I'm just gunna save up and get the skimmer I want.

Both skimmers are good skimmers the PSK's can be a little touch when adjust and they do require a water depth of 9"-11" I believe well at least my PSK-150 did and if you run it in shallower water it can get quite temper mental. If it was me I would go with Reef Octopus Classic 110.

Back