Reef Octopus 110SSS Vs 150SSS

Nick30G

Hey Guys,
Was wondering if you could help me real quick with this. Im trying to decide between the Reef Octopus 150SSS and the 110SSS, This is going to be for a 37 gallon reef tank with a 10 gallon sump. I know the 150SSS has more filtration power, but im trying to conserve as much space as possible in my sump for my fuge. The dimension difference between the 110 and 150 are like 2 inches (2 inches more for my sump basically. I see the the bioload rating for the 150sss according to BRS is:
BRS Recommended Tank Size:

Light Stocked - 160 Gallons

Medium Stocked - 110 Gallons

Heavily Stocked - 65 Gallons
And for the 110SSS

Light Stocked - 120 Gallons

Medium Stocked - 75 Gallons

Heavily Stocked - 40 Gallons

Should I trust the manufacturer rating (which I see is much higher, 60 Gallons for 110SSS and 120 Gallons on the 150SSS heavy bioload) Or should I trust Bulk Reef Supply's filtration rating?

Personally not a fan of the space saving design skimmers and have never owned one, however I'm sure the 110 would be fine with a 37 gal DT. FWIW I run the 110 classic on a 30gal DT with a 20gal sump and 10gal fuge, have a bunch of lps some softies and a few sps with 8 fish so I would consider it fairly well stocked and the 110 suits me just fine in this application.

Personally not a fan of the space saving design skimmers and have never owned one, however I'm sure the 110 would be fine with a 37 gal DT. FWIW I run the 110 classic on a 30gal DT with a 20gal sump and 10gal fuge, have a bunch of lps some softies and a few sps with 8 fish so I would consider it fairly well stocked and the 110 suits me just fine in this application.
Thank you for your reply. The classic series 110 is more powerful than the 110sss and is just as powerful as the 150sss. Unfortunate the classic is too big for my sump so I need to go with a Space saver one.

Go with the smaller skimmer. If you buy to large of a skimmer for your tank it will often times not skim consistently since there isn't a large enough bio load for it to consistently skim.

Thank you for your reply. The classic series 110 is more powerful than the 110sss and is just as powerful as the 150sss. Unfortunate the classic is too big for my sump so I need to go with a Space saver one.

I see then. So I guess the new question is just how much bio-load you have planed for your system?
Keep in mind that ksicard is right, too much skimmer is not a good thing. If your long term goals are only a few fish and light to medium stocking of "easy" types of corals then I would say to go with the 110. If you plan on stuffing the tank with SPS and a significant amount of fish then for sure the 150.

110, how is this even a question? Lol. I was going to use the 110 on a 90g tank.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I am pLanning on stocking heavily. The 110 classic and the 110sss are two completely different things. The 110 classic has literally double the filtration power of the 110sss

I also got a recommendation for the bubble magus curve 5 which would be cheaper and small footprint and is basically the same as the reef octopus

Either the 110 SSS or the Curve 5 will be enough for a 37g reef, even heavily stocked - I am running three Curve 5's on heavily stocked tanks larger than yours (pair of 40B's and a 50 cube), and they keep up just fine... :)

I recently switched from a ASM G2 to a 150sss on my 120DT. I am amazed a what a good job it is doing. The G2 went to the basement on my ~90g frag tank where it is doing well there

I am pLanning on stocking heavily. The 110 classic and the 110sss are two completely different things. The 110 classic has literally double the filtration power of the 110sss
That only makes my point stronger lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back