Reef Octopus Classic 90 HOB vs Classic 1000 HOB in comparison with Remora Aqua C

enb141

Hi I currently have a Remora Aqua C skimmer that unfortunately for my tastes is too noisy and it heats the water because the pump has to be in the tank so I'm considering to use an external pump skimmer and I saw this two Reef Octopus Classic 90 HOB and the Classic 1000 HOB so I would like to know your opinion about those two skimmers, in resume I think one is a box (Classic 1000 HOB) and the other one is cylindrical (Classic 90) but any one can tell me how noisy they are, if possible in comparison with the Remora Aqua C and anything you can tell me about those skimmers will be appreciated.

I cant compare the noise for you but of all the HOB nothing came as close to the BH90 as far as far as skimming ability.

I have both the Aqua C and RO 1000 ( not using either at the minute ) .The RO is quieter but can and will overflow . Skims like a beast though .

In what sense you mean will overflow?

With the Remora Aqua C I haven't had any overflow issue so why the RO 1000 has overflow problems?

What's your tank size?

I used the bh90 for about a year and a half before upgrading. Pulled out lots of nasty gunk. It was in my bedroom and was quiet enough for me to sleep but I would have liked it to be a little quieter but maybe I'm just nit picking. It was partly more noisy because the skimmer rubbed up against the wall creating more vibration noise, so just know if you choose this skimmer you'll need a good 4.5" of clearance behind the tank because of the cylindrical shape. All in all I was very pleased with it and would recommend it but with that said, it's the only hob skimmer I've owned so I have nothing to compare to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In what sense you mean will overflow?

With the Remora Aqua C I haven't had any overflow issue so why the RO 1000 has overflow problems?

What's your tank size?

I used it on a 20 long , since switched to a 56 column and no longer use as I have a sump . Overflows can be casued by a kinked/clogged airline , clogged sponges on the outflow or the outflow pipe being too long .There's more than a few threads on RC about it . Good skimmer but finicky and easy to damage , I snapped the volute cover cleaning and have had leaks from improperly seated o-rings .

Back