Reef safe paint for PVC

Nanook

Ancient Eskimo Legend
Staff member
RC Mod
I have some white PVC that I am using for returns in both tanks that are a bit of an eyesore. Is there any paint or other stuff that I can coat them with that will last and be reef-safe?

Thanks.

Hi, I have used black enamel spray paint in my 180 reef tank for several returns and intakes, allow to dry a day. It stayed on a long time - many months with minimum wear spots. The paint posted above is possibly longer lasting, mine was from Homeless Depot.

Thanks for the advice. I will get some flat black Krylon Fusion.

I have used krylon fusion for years and it has worked perfectly on PVC. My current tanks overflow fittings have been submerged for well over 3 years with black krylon fusion and no problems whatsoever.

I'm just thinking outside the box here, could Coralline algae be good enough to cover up the eyesore? Maybe some type of coral? One of my LFS uses GSP to cover up his pipes.

Know it sounds stupid but worth throwing out there.

I use plasti-dip which is actually a rubber coating that is pretty durable. Been using it for a while in all my aquatic setups with no apparent ill effects.

-Charlie

I have used Krylon Fusion on PVC as well. I used PVC cleaner on the fittings and found it bonds with a smoother finish than sanding off the shiny finish. The PVC cleaner expands and softens the PVC and allows for a stronger bond. One thing I have learned is to use as directed when applying additional coats. If you wait more than 24 hrs the solvent in the paint that allows it to bond to the PVC will actually pull up the partially cured paint already on the piece. I believe the full cure time is one week and after that I have repainted pieces with no problem.

I have used Krylon Fusion on PVC as well. I used PVC cleaner on the fittings and found it bonds with a smoother finish than sanding off the shiny finish. The PVC cleaner expands and softens the PVC and allows for a stronger bond. One thing I have learned is to use as directed when applying additional coats. If you wait more than 24 hrs the solvent in the paint that allows it to bond to the PVC will actually pull up the partially cured paint already on the piece. I believe the full cure time is one week and after that I have repainted pieces with no problem.

+1 PVC Cleaner

Back