reef safe puffers?

i dont know of any all the big puffers like to chrunch rocks and corals and the little ones like to nip at corals and suck polyps

My porcupine puffer is reef safe. Except those two clown fish he ate. I would have bet they were to big for him to eat. :(

My Fiji blue-spotted puffer (a small toby, sort of like a Valentini) has been reef safe for the most part, now that all the Nassarius snails are gone. Every now and again he nips at an SPS, but never enough to do anything.

jds

All the puffers I have owned (about 12 maybe) have been reefsafe in the sense that none have ever nipped corals. But only soft corals, not sps. Im sure they would destroy sps. They will eat clean up crew though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13367940#post13367940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GroceryGetterS4
lol.....reef safe and puffer is an oxymoron

In what sense? I know lots of people keeping them in reefs. I have three in my current reef.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13369159#post13369159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boxfishpooalot
On the contrary all the puffers I have owned have ate soft corals and not touched sps....

What species? Just curious.

I have kept Stars and Stripes (5 years up to about 15"), Porc (up to about 9"), Mappa, GuineaFowl and currently a Burrfish, Dogface and Green Spotted Puffer, all with soft corals and no problems. Some of the tanks were FULL of corals too.

Im just surprised yours ate softies. Mine only nip at harder stuff like rocks or shells so I assumed sps would be nipped.

HI! I heard you were looking for a Reef Safe Puffer. I'm Reef Safe. Really! Just look at how cute I am! Would a face like this eat your little fishes, snails, shrimp (yum), crabs and corals? Of course not. Please put me in your reef tank. I'll be good!

rosie1.jpg

It is hit or miss... my porcupine puffer is in a full reef with shrimp, small fish, sps, lps, clams, anemones... I was willing to take the risk. I am the only one that I know to do this. He is in a 130 full bare bottom reef

I'm interested in hearing success stories with puffers. My wife hates the fish tank but like porcupine puffers so I've been thinking of trying one in my reef. I've got a Coral banded shrimp, some emerald crabs and a bunch of snails and hermits. As long as it didnt eat my SPS and entire clean up crew I would be pretty happy(I would expect a few casualties).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13375548#post13375548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eros
I'm interested in hearing success stories with puffers. My wife hates the fish tank but like porcupine puffers so I've been thinking of trying one in my reef. I've got a Coral banded shrimp, some emerald crabs and a bunch of snails and hermits. As long as it didnt eat my SPS and entire clean up crew I would be pretty happy(I would expect a few casualties).

If its the 75G thats way too small for a Porc. It will outgrow that pretty quick.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13372941#post13372941 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bassettmd
It is hit or miss... my porcupine puffer is in a full reef with shrimp, small fish, sps, lps, clams, anemones... I was willing to take the risk. I am the only one that I know to do this. He is in a 130 full bare bottom reef [/QUOTE

I know quite a few people locally keeping puffers in full reefs just like you say. My brother for one.

I don't think its as hit or miss as everyone thinks. Its very hit or miss with stuff like crabs and shrimp but when it comes to corals I have not heard of too many problems.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13375577#post13375577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by justinpsmith
If its the 75G thats way too small for a Porc. It will outgrow that pretty quick.

You're right, forgot about their size. Maybe a Blue Spot.

I have a dog faced in my 300 with a good amount of soft corals and anemones. The only thing I caught him munching on were zoanthids. For the most part he leaves the corals alone.

Back