Reef Tank Flow Question

reteer

Hi, I need help figuring out my tank flow. I have the following:

90 gallon marlineland reef ready tank w/corner overflow
Red sea skimmer 300
ES-HOPPS RS-200 sump with 23 total water volume, sump drain line has
a gate valve installed.
Simplicity 1600 DC Return Pump (minimum flow 1150 GPH). The pump has 10 settings, each setting reduces power by 2.5% from 1600GPH.
2 Powerheads, Jebao OW-10 Wave Maker Flow Pump with Controller (132-1056 GPH)
Its about 4-5 ft. of head from the return pump to the return nozzles.

I plan to start with beginner soft corals and fish.

Right now i have the tank cycling started, the return pump is set at the 1150 minimum, and the power heads are set at about half speed, constantly running.

Hey Reeter sounds like a great start, you might want to add a couple of more jebaos for a 90 gallon for better flow.

What specifically do you need help figuring out?
Typically 30x display tank size in gallons per hour is sufficient for flow in a general/softie/fish setup..

There are two "flows" you need to consider.

One is the flow through your sump. This has been pretty controversial in my opinion with some advocating for 4-5 times DT size per hour, up to as high as 15-20 depending on the system you are using (berlin, triton etc). This flow is related to your return pump and max drainage. For example in most systems running the usual types of drains (durso, herbie, bean) a 1" drain pipe will give you about 1500 GPH drainage, which means a return pump more than this will be unhelpful. Drains that are 1.5" usually drain around 2500 GPH so you can have a bigger return pump. You don't so the point is moot. With your pump on max, (assuming no head loss which is unlikely) you would be at about 17 times per hour. At min (again assuming no head loss) you would be at about 12 times per hour. Both of these IMO are a little high, but you can read on that for yourself and decide which kind of system you are wanting to run.

The next type of flow is how much flow your powerheads create in the tank. This is important for certain types of fish and coral. It also helps with dissolved oxygen for fish, which is important. Look at the requirements for what you want in the tank and then decide how many powerheads you will need for that. Currently if the tank is cycling you only need a little flow of this type in the tank. As you add fish and/or coral your requirements will increase.

What specifically do you need help figuring out?
Typically 30x display tank size in gallons per hour is sufficient for flow in a general/softie/fish setup..

I need help figuring out my return pump, and powerhead speeds, and if the sump drain line gate valve needs to be adjusted. Right now powerheads are at full speed, the return pump at 1150 gph, and the gate valve is opened up all the way so its at max drain.

Return pump: The flowchart for that pump puts you around 600-700gph at that head height..
A 90g tank needs about 270-450gph at a min so you are just perfect..

Powerheads: 2x1000gph =2000gph.. A 90g tank needs like 1800-2700gph at a min.. You are right at the bottom limit running those 2 on full blast...picking up 1 more larger one would be better IMO... I'd shoot for 4500gph+ capacity and dial back a bit on the power levels..

I would leave the drain valve fully open unless your overflow water height is too low and its too noisy in the overflow area..

Hope that helped...

Return pump: The flowchart for that pump puts you around 600-700gph at that head height..
A 90g tank needs about 270-450gph at a min so you are just perfect..

Powerheads: 2x1000gph =2000gph.. A 90g tank needs like 1800-2700gph at a min.. You are right at the bottom limit running those 2 on full blast...picking up 1 more larger one would be better IMO... I'd shoot for 4500gph+ capacity and dial back a bit on the power levels..

I would leave the drain valve fully open unless your overflow water height is too low and its too noisy in the overflow area..

Hope that helped...

ok, how do I arrange the three pumps then? do I put the two weaker ones on one side next to each other and the more powerful one on the other side?

ok, how do I arrange the three pumps then? do I put the two weaker ones on one side next to each other and the more powerful one on the other side?

Back