Reefbreeders, Hydra52, buildmyled or Razor 16K

meshwheel

Hi guys,
I now have the money for my lights! My tank is 36x18x24. This will be a SPS tank. I feel led's have come pretty much full circle now, and feel confident to purchase them now. I have waited quite a while!!!
So what do you guys think?? I love the Reefbreeders Photon 32.! WOW! 300 watts for 450 bucks!!! With controller to boot and 2 YEAR WARRANTEE!!!!:fun4: GOOOOOODNIGHT!!! That's a deal!!!:fun4:
MAxspect Razor: 160 watts I think, great color. Super sleek looking fixture with built in controller!!!! Very nice!!!
Hydra52. WOW! loads of watts and great colors. CONTROLLABLE CHANNELS!!!! Something the Razor and reefbreeders lack. BUILT IN USA!!!!! MUCH DENERO SENOR!!!! Big bucks compared to the other 2!
doityourselfled: Very nice. Built in Texas. No color control yet. Close to 1000.00 for 3 3' strips and all the extras I will need.

Logan from reefbreeders has been great for answering questions. However the AI Hydra52's come with 2 sets of UV's. A light purple and a darker purple. The reefbreeders only come with a darker purple. 412nm I believe.
I wish reefbreeders had spectral charts of their lights on the website. Anyone know anything about the additional UV's on the hydra's???
Just want to make the right decision and be done with it!
Thank you:thumbsup::wavehand:

meshwheel

FlyPenFly,
Thank you for your input. What brand is BML??? I am familiar with the Hydra. Checked it out along with the Hydra52 at RAP a few weeks ago. Great color, nice set up, still over priced....lol.
What led's are you running? Thanks

zooman72

Hydra 52 or BML + Apex with VDM

Programming the Razor sucks and the color is very purple.

While programming might be "different" from other programmable LED lighting, I have not come across others complaining about the Razor's programming compared to others - this could be considered subjective I suppose...

On the other hand, I have read numerous times from others about the "purple" appearance of Razors, usually from those that have not used it but simply looked at pictures on the forums (which are notoriously "off" with LEDs) - the fixture will only look as "purple" as one wants as the white and blue channels are separately controllable, so this statement is odd...:eek:

mypepper

I would vote to go with the Hydra 52, which I currently own 2 Vega color units.

Once the Hydra 52 upgrade kits is available for the Vega, I'll be making the switch.

The Vega's are excellent LED's and my coral growth is excellent, but I would also like to have UV and Violet spectrum along with the extra 40 watts of power.

Radions are excellent lights as well, but since I have my Vega's, I'm not willing to fork out more money at this time.

Once the Hydra 52 is released, both the Hydra 52 and Radion will be very similar in performance.

Thanks and happy reefing,
Randy

Last edited:

meshwheel

Zooman,
Thank you for the input! Yea, a lot of people go off of what they read and or see on the internet. about 90% is crapola!
I have never seen the purple color mentioned. I know when taking photos of led light tanks it gets pretty tricky at times. Many take on a purplish hue.
Not sure on the controller on the Razor, but this is the first I have heard of it being crappy.
The Razor seems like a pretty good deal all in all.

meshwheel

Hi Randy,
Yes, I felt the led's where really lacking in UV. But now I think they are getting balanced out well. I like the Hydra's a lot! I got to see both the Hydra and the Hydra52 at RAP and the colors where excellent.
And boy where those Hydra52's bright!!!! I have a 24 inch deep SPS tank I am setting up, and want to experiment with possibly keeping the tank top covered.
I know two Hydra52's will be plenty of PAR. I like the idea of not have to rum them at 100% either. Easier on the leds.
The 300 watt reefbreeders fixture I feel would be a great unit too. I could have them add more UV, but I am blinded by the fact that there's no spectral charts out there for the fixture.
So I would just be playing with basic ratios of how many of one color vs. how many of another! However, that 300 watt fixture I have a feeling would be a real beast. It's 32" long and my tank is 36" long.
That would be a boat load of light! I am betting I could run it at 50-70%. I guess I could maybe compare ratios of other lights with spectral charts, and change the photon accordingly "IF" I felt it needed it.
The Reefbreeders photon has no channel adjustments. But do we really need them????
Thanks

meshwheel

Here's the Hydra layout:
LEDs

The AI Hydra FiftyTwo™ utilizes the latest LED technology from leading manufacturers, arranged to provide the best performance.
16 - Cree XT-E Cool White (> 70 CRI)
4 - OSRAM OSLON Deep Red
4 - XP-E Green
12 - Cree XT-E Royal Blue
8 - OSRAM OSLON Very Deep Blue
4 - SemiLED 415nm Violet
4 - Edison Opto 400nm UV
For a total of 135 watts! PRice 500-ish plus shipping and controller.

If I cut the Reefbreeders photon 32 in half I would have:
11 450nm warm whites
5 480nm blues
2 66nm reds
6 410-420nm violets
24 450nm royal blues
3 450nm moonlights
Total of approx. 150 watts. This is the fixture cut in half for comparison purposes to the hydra52. Price cut in half would be 225.00 delivered.
Pretty wild comparison. Wondering just how big the differences would be. I know both fixtures will grow corals.

meshwheel

Reefbreeders corrected: actual power output of 32" photon 212-240 watts. Hmmmm. could reefbreeders add 4 Edison Opto 400 nm uv to my layout????

biglurr54

Following along on this one. Have you thought about building your own based on the hydra52. That's my latest thinking.

meshwheel

Hi biglurr54,
I am sure I could build my own, but I am usually limited on time and have a weird schedule as of lately. I have seen some beautiful tanks running the Reefbreeders fixture, as well as the Hydra's.
One thing I noticed on the new Hydra vs. the old Sol is it had a lot more red in the color. However, with adjustable channels you can surely manipulate them to whatever your personal preference.
The Reefbreeders look dam nice for the price. The more I research into it the better value by far it seems to be.
If Reefbreeders had controllable channels I would be on it in a heartbeat. I found a really nice video. I need to get with this guy to see how it's coming along.
Check out this video. Granted its only been over the tank a few days. But VERY VERY comparable to his halide fixture running!
I hope this posts correctly! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J57lLmuZNTE

evolutionZ

No idea about the BML, but either the reef breeders or razor, the hydra is just a overpriced nice looking fixture, the razor DOES NOT look purple at all, i have one 160w 16k over my 48x24x14", at A:70%, B:100% (A is white, B is blue channels) they give a nice white with blue tinge look.

Another thing is i don't think the reefbreeders uses CREE leds right? if so the output of the leds would be as good as the razor which uses cree.

fletch999

Reefbreeders corrected: actual power output of 32" photon 212-240 watts. Hmmmm. could reefbreeders add 4 Edison Opto 400 nm uv to my layout????

not needed IMO for corals, maybe helps with looks.

But they will do custom layouts if you wanted.

meshwheel

Here's a write up on the PURE UV led strip that buildmyled offers. Hmmmmmmm

Pure UV

Maximize Green Fluorescence...

This new fixture contains stunning 400nm violet LEDs and is designed to be used in conjunction with a full spectrum fixture (such as our 12000K Reef Spectrum or our 14000K Reef Spectrum). The Pure UV supplemental fixture is designed to target a critical photosynthetically active wavelength region that is usually neglected by other LED lights. It is also designed to accentuate and intensify the naturally occurring fluorescent colors in your corals for maximum ‘pop’ and added viewing enjoyment. The spectrum is particularly efficient at maximizing green fluorescence in many types of corals.

High efficiency LEDs do not need frequent replacement like old style fluorescent tubes -- this fixture is rated to provide 50,000 hours of use with minimal color shift. Add this dimmable fixture to your aquarium and soak your corals in rich UV and violet light.

NOTE: Due to the human eye response to different wavelengths, this fixture will not appear very bright to aquarists. However, this fixture is built with very powerful UV LEDs, so aquarists should use a properly calibrated PAR meter to avoid delivering too much light to the corals. Also, since the LEDs will appear dim to the human eye, never stare directly into the lights. While they appear dim, the UV LEDs are producing very high levels of radiometric energy.

Recommended for: Reef keepers who want to target a critical photosynthetically active wavelength region which is missing from most LED lighting systems.

roadkingbill

Same dilemma do I go Reefbreeders Photon 32 or Razor 160w ? My Red Sea Max 250 is 16.5w x 37L x 20 deep. It has a great hood that I hate to take off so I was planning of hanging my LEDs in a manner that I could just open hood for leds then close it and use the T5s for the uv with T5 uv tubes. The hood has built in moonlights also.

FlyPenFly

SPS Killer
While programming might be "different" from other programmable LED lighting, I have not come across others complaining about the Razor's programming compared to others - this could be considered subjective I suppose...

On the other hand, I have read numerous times from others about the "purple" appearance of Razors, usually from those that have not used it but simply looked at pictures on the forums (which are notoriously "off" with LEDs) - the fixture will only look as "purple" as one wants as the white and blue channels are separately controllable, so this statement is odd...:eek:

Used it about 4 months on a 75. Six time points are not enough especially for how you have to program it.

Over rated LEDs although it grows coral fine and are nicely made. You don't realize how bad the color is until you try out Radion Pros or other higher end lights.

meshwheel

RoadKingbill,
What bulbs are you running in your RedSea tank right now. Wait, let me re-phrase that. What T5 bulbs are you running? The stock T5 bulbs??
If so, just change out your bulbs for ATI or Geissman. You will double the PAR output. They are much much stronger.
I own a PAR meter and have used it a lot. German bulbs are way stronger! With the German T5's you can grow whatever you want in that tank!
I would keep the hood on for sure!

meshwheel

FlypenFly,
So you where not happy with them. What differences do you see with the Radion Pros vs. the Razor? Better color? Faster growth?
I thought the Razor had Cree led's. I know there's no separate color channels, but I thought the light and color looked pretty nice. Maybe lacking a little in the red area but there's no way to adjust that color.

fletch999

Here's a write up on the PURE UV led strip that buildmyled offers. Hmmmmmmm

Pure UV

Maximize Green Fluorescence...

This new fixture contains stunning 400nm violet LEDs and is designed to be used in conjunction with a full spectrum fixture (such as our 12000K Reef Spectrum or our 14000K Reef Spectrum). The Pure UV supplemental fixture is designed to target a critical photosynthetically active wavelength region that is usually neglected by other LED lights. It is also designed to accentuate and intensify the naturally occurring fluorescent colors in your corals for maximum ‘pop’ and added viewing enjoyment. The spectrum is particularly efficient at maximizing green fluorescence in many types of corals.

High efficiency LEDs do not need frequent replacement like old style fluorescent tubes -- this fixture is rated to provide 50,000 hours of use with minimal color shift. Add this dimmable fixture to your aquarium and soak your corals in rich UV and violet light.

NOTE: Due to the human eye response to different wavelengths, this fixture will not appear very bright to aquarists. However, this fixture is built with very powerful UV LEDs, so aquarists should use a properly calibrated PAR meter to avoid delivering too much light to the corals. Also, since the LEDs will appear dim to the human eye, never stare directly into the lights. While they appear dim, the UV LEDs are producing very high levels of radiometric energy.

Recommended for: Reef keepers who want to target a critical photosynthetically active wavelength region which is missing from most LED lighting systems.

Here is a chart I found 400nm is on there at the beginning but it is not the peak. look at chlorophyll A peaks 410 and 430, chlorophyll b is not in coral. I have also read that 400nm can be bad for SPS.

http://orphek.com/about/about-corals/

anything under 400nm most people can't see, that is why they say it is not bright.

Last edited: