reefcrystals vitamins cause bacteria blooms??

noobtothereef

Ive noticed every time i do a water change (40 gallons on 160+ gallon system) every 2 weeks my tank will be slightly cloudy and then start to clear up and then the filter sock will clog and be covered with bacteria( and yes the fresh saltwater is mixed for 2-3 days prior to water change) Ive also noticed bacteria growth in my fresh saltwater mixing container, i use rodi water that reads 0ppm, i check it every time i fill it. Ive read alot of threads on the added vitamins that are put into reef crystals, could these vitamins be doing this to my tank? Im thinking about switching to instant ocean and just dosing more to make up for the difference in alk, calc, mag.

And also id like to add i clean my filter sock every other day but after the water change it will get loaded with bacteria quick but it will stop plugging up at about the time for another water change

Don't know what the issue is. I use Reef Crystals and don't have to change my filter socks any sooner than before I switched to RC. Besides, I never knew that you could see bacteria collecting. Don't know if this is possible. Could be, just doubtful.

What is your water change routine? Are you stirring up a lot of stuff when you do a water change? I get a lttle cloudy for a few hours but that's because I turkey baste the bejesus out of my rocks. One thing I made a ritual is to turkey baste my rocks the night before I do water change. Then, while the return pump is off the next day, I replace the filter socks. That way no new water has to pass through a grungy filter sock.

If you can actually see a bacterial bloom in your tank, that's not a good sign. Are you dosing vodka?

I doubt it is bacteria that you are seeing, rather gunk stirred up from the water change. Bacteria does not develop that fast in our aquariums. The so called vitamins in Reef Crystals is not causing your problem. I'd look to another source. Maybe you'll need to do a series of quick water changes to get most of the undissolved solids out then your filter sock won't clog so fast. Or change your filter sock after about 6 hrs post water change. Then see what happens.

Good luck. :)

I've used Coralife for years and it has pretty much the same "vitamins". No issues like what you are experiencing. I agree it's probably something getting stirred up during the water change.

It's possible that the water change is fueling some sort of pest that feeds on various trace elements. Some dinoflagellates do that. There's also a bit of ammonia in most salts, for a little extra nutrient punch. :) I'd probably limit the water changes to 10% of the water column, if possible, and consider doing them once a week, if the tank seems to need it.

Back