Reefkeepers Contingency Planning - Virus

AcroporaUK

Premium Member
Hello fellow Reefkeepers,

(Copy of my post from my post in UK)

Whilst the clinical implications, of the Corona Virus may be considerable, the commercial adverse effects and implications on normal life may become equally profound.

Rightfully so, many people may be purchasing food, medicine and essential supplies for their families, to overcome potential difficulties such future unavailability (no stock in shops, shops closed, personal illness (not being able to go to supplies), self-isolation (not wanting to go outside), restricted movements outside (not being allowed outside), etc.

I have advocated for a long time, that Reefkeepers, should consider 'resilience', risks, 'what ifs' and think about how they would mitigate and solve problems, in emergency situations.

I know that some Reefkeeper's 'business continuity strategy', is such that, if something goes wrong or they suddenly run out of something, there's a LFS not too far away. And therefore they can quickly pick-up some more food, or buy a replacement sump return pump etc.

But in these unprecedented times, perhaps it might be time to think again. It's not practical to specifically state what your Reef may need, since each of our tanks and livestock are unique. However, I put to you that perhaps, it may be worth, picking up:

1.A spare sump circulation pump

2.Sufficient frozen food to last a prolonged period.

3.Some flake food or pellets.

4.An air pump*

5.A spare heater / chillers, depending where you live.

*I'm hoping electricity supplies are not interrupted, or if they are, that service is resumed quickly, but, perhaps we should consider this less likely scenario, which may be due to the shortage of engineers, to undertake repair works etc.

I realise that "˜stockpiling' can have adverse effects, and can result in others not being able to obtain, their "˜daily needs', or others going without. Therefore, a degree of common sense is needed. However, careful consideration, needs to be given to the fishes and creatures which depend upon us to survive, and what may happen in the coming weeks or months.

I'm certainly going to pick-up some additional fish food today.

I hope you, your families, fishes and reefs remain unaffected, or if they are, you are able to overcome arising issues.

Kindest Regards Martin Lakin

Yep, picked up seven more packs of frozen food today (I feed three cubes a day). Have lots of pellets and some flake. Everything else you mentioned, I already have (years and years in the hobby will do that for you).

One thing I would emphasize in any "disaster" planning is a battery powered airpump for water circulation. I have a bunch, including several PennPlax B-11 pumps - automatically activate when power is cut to the plug. Of course, you'll need to keep some D batteries around...

Always good to think about, and plan for, the what-ifs.

Kevin

I'm not so much concerned with equipment and food as I am with livestock. With international air traffic defacto shut down for weeks or more likely months to come, the supply chains for fish and coral will break down and will likely be the last to be restored when the worst is over.
And the idea that everything (and especially international flights) will go back to how it was before is rather naive.
Given that many will leave the hobby, used equipment will be cheap, and fish food is not actually in short supply right now.
So I rather try to stock up on the fish, inverts, and corals I have on my want list.

I was actually thinking about the same thing recently. Not due to corona virus but just generally if power was lost what are the most important things to keep a tank alive?
Is the only thing you need a battery powered air pump to keep the water oxygenated?
Power loss is certainly a fairly common thing that happens so I would think it would make more sense to be prepared for something like that which is pretty typical. We just lost power two weekends ago because somebody ran into a transformer. I put my battery powered air pump that I got after we lost power the time before that in the tank for a few hours until the power came back on. Didn't lose anything.

Are there other things people should be thinking about in a power outage situation? Maybe having some spare RODI water available so you don't end up having to supplement the tank with tap water as your sump evaporates.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back