Reefkeeping 101 – Sumps!

That's what I like to hear. After trying to write that article three different times, and then rereading it at least 10 more times to make sure I was getting each point across in a comprehensible manner, it was my hope that others would find it helpful.

Nice article. Writing something for publication is just like preparing presentation. It takes a lot of work for your 15 minutes of fame ;)

I think we should all thank Marc for his vast knowledge and help with reef aquariums. He is totally devoted to making this the best past time ever.

THANK YOU

Dustin Phillips

Melev, if I were to use a rubbermaid container for a sump, should I use glass or acrylic baffles (I'm assuming acrylic) and what should I use to bond the baffles to the tub?

Rubbermaid bins are rather pliable or soft. In those situations, it is better to stack bins inside of bins inside of bins. For example, water pours into the first bin that also holds the skimmer. This then overflows into the next bin which could be the refugium area, which then overflows into the final largest bin which is the return section.

Interesting, I'll look into that if that's the route I go.

I'm incredibly impressed with your knowledge of all things sump-related. I've been browsing your site on and off for the past year and it's amazing what you have done. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop!

I thought it was great too Marc. I would have said that sooner but the fumes from the PVC cleaner/primer made me unconscious for a week. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11599165#post11599165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I have a feeling the next section I do on my site will be all about plumbing. :)

That would defiantly be interesting. I'd look forward to that.

Back