refugeium

Tommy3492

hey so i want to add a refugium to my tank, i have like a 30 gallon sump now but only has 2 compartments one for the g3 skimmer and the other for all my pumps so i cannot fit a refugeium in there but i have like 14inch long by like 12 inches wide space on the right.... i was thinking i could either buy a small tank 2-5 gallons or make one, and put a pump in sump and a pump in refugeium so it will pump sump water in and another pump will pump it out, do you think this will work? cause for my sump model they have a back unit i could buy but its like 200 bucks so i dont want to do that, i was going to put macroalgea into it and some cheato, will the stuff get sucked up into the pumps? and what size pumps i should use???

Thanks tommy

Ever considered a Hang on Back model? I've seen one model thats actually a small refugium inside your tank, pretty cool.

yea thats the one i was talking about that hangs on the back of sump for 200 bucks, but i dont want to pay that much, and i can hang anything on the back of tank it is flush with the wall...

if you are talking about pumping water into your fuge then pumping it back out into the sump

forget it!

that is a disaster waiting to happen
trying to match the flows betw the 2 will be impossible - to maintain atleast... then if one gets debris you will have an imbalanced flow that will guaranteed cause a flood.

the best and easiest thing will be to get a hole cut for a bulkhead in your new fuge tank... for a simple diy pvc overflow its cheap/effective and will only cost a few dollars extra to add... and its really easy to set up once the hole is drilled (take it to a local glass shop if you cant drill it yourself - wont cost much)... elevate the fuge tank a little bit if you have to so it will gravity into your sump.

here is a photo of our 50gal display fuge -
it is pump fed from the sump then gravity feeds back into the return section of the sump...

good luck

regards

newestOF.jpg

refugium02.jpg

Back