regal angels vs location vs sucess vs failure

agreeive?fish

Long read but the questions are at the end of the background info. here is a response from liveaquaria on regal angels which clarified some info for me...but only raised so more questions that "average joe" experience can clarify some more.

LA response (good info)
Thank you for your interest in LiveAquaria. We have gotten more information about the Regal Angelfish from Vanuatu that you had inquired about. The coloration of these fish is with the blue/gray breast like the Indo-Pacific, Coral Sea, and Tahitian varieties. They are also shipped and acclimated the same as those from areas like the Coral Sea, which is near Vanuatu.

Regarding your other question and which location are Tahitian relatives, all of them are related. That sentence in the description is referring to the Indo-pacific, Coral Sea, Vanuatu, and Tahitian fish collectively as having a different coloration in the breast from their relatives in the Maldives and Red Sea. That was re-written some on our website with the addition of the information on the Vanuatu coloration, and we hope it is clearer now as well.

LA updated overview of regal angels

Overview
With vivid vertical striations of blue, white, yellow, or orange on the body and pelvic fin, the Regal Angelfish deserves this distinctive name. Regal Angelfish from the Maldives and the Red Sea have a distinctive yellow breast, where their Indo-Pacific, Coral Sea, Vanuatu and Tahitian relatives normally have a blue/gray breast. This coloration is more prevalent in specimens that are more mature and are at least 4" in length. Juveniles will have a "False Eye Spot" on their dorsal fins that fades and the fish matures.

Regal Angelfish from the Red Sea, Maldives, Coral Sea, Fiji and Tahiti are good shippers and are harvested and handled with care, and normally will adapt more easily than their Indo-Pacific counterparts to the home aquarium.

The Regal Angelfish is more difficult to maintain than other species of angels so it should be introduced first so that it may stake out its territory in advance of other fish. A minimum of a 125 gallon tank with plenty of hiding places and live rock for grazing will offer a good environment. The Regal Angelfish may nip at large-polyped stony corals, an occasional soft coral and clam mantles, but may be kept with small-polyped stony corals and somewhat noxious soft corals.

To entice a Regal Angelfish to eat, use a diet of fresh shrimp and chopped seafood. The diet should also include herbivore preparations which include Spirulina and marine algae, and angelfish preparations containing sponges.

Approximate Purchase Size: Juvenile Medium: 1-3/4" to 2-1/2"; Small: 1-1/2" to 2"; Small/Medium: 2: to 2-3/4"; Medium: 2-3/4" to 3-1/4"; Medium/Large: 3-1/4" to 4"; Large: 4" to 5" XLarge: 5" to 7"

QUESTIONS

yes i know the general opinion is that red sea regals are the only way to go but......

besides the obvious coloring variances how does the Maldives regal compare to the red sea regal in terms of adaptability and thriving long life

I know the general opinion that indo blue/grey are unlikely to be a good choice so how do the coral sea, vanuatu, tahiti, fiji regals adapat toan long thriving life in an aquarium...

all constructive comments are welcome as i WILL be getting a regal angel within the next 30 days as thats the whole reason for the 210 tank being setup ..

I've had three, all yellow belly, but not sure I could tell you with any accuracy exactly where they were from. Two I got as 4-5" adults, one from a local reefer already eating. I had the first one for many years, the second now for about 9 months. In between I did buy a small juvenile, but it died in QT from what I suspect was a bacterial infection.

some more info on regal angels from live aquaria..hope this info is helpful to other as much as it was to me

Hi Dennis, thank you for your interest in LiveAquaria. I passed your message on to Kevin, our LiveAquaria Director, and he has provided this reply for you:

"Dennis,
Thank you for your questions regarding Regal Angelfish. All Regal Angelfish harvested in the Indian Ocean have yellow bellies and are often referred to as Yellow Belly Regal Angelfish. The most common areas of harvest for Indian Ocean specimens include Sri Lanka, Maldives, East Africa, and infrequently from the Red Sea. Pacific Ocean Regal Angelfish have grey bellies. They can range from as far north as Ryukyus and Izu Islands of Japan, south through Philippines, Indonesia, then into regions of the Central and South Pacific- Kiribati, Micronesia, Solomon Islands, Australia, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji, Tonga, and Tahiti.

We prefer to focus on Central and South Pacific short supply chains suppliers for Regal Angelfish which include Fiji, Vanuatu, and Micronesia for the Pacific Grey Belly Fishes. I hope this helps and happy fishkeeping!
Kevin"

Back