Regenerate your GFO? Guaging interest in "group buy".

jefathome

Hello...

I'm thinking about picking up a large quantity of Sodium Hydroxide (50 lbs) from a local chemical place to use in the regeneration of my GFO (BRS High Capacity).

Does anyone else here do this or want to try?
(article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/10/chemistry )

Anyway, 50 lobs is more than I need, but shipping on smaller quantities is expensive. Wanted to guage interest to see if anyone else might want some.

I could always use some to make soap I guess but even then Im sure 50lbs is WAY more than I need.

Cool... Glad to see someone else wants some. I really don't want to store 50 lbs of a highly caustic substance in my garage.

plus, I don't see why more people don't do this. The Lye is cheap... like $2/lb GFO is what, $15 per lb or more? Sounds like you can use the same GFO maybe up to a year for only about $10.

I may be interested! I wont need alot either, do you have breakdowns of how much it would cost per person? This would be a great diy club demonstration too.

The material is only going to come out to about $2/lb. Cant ship it though bc there are a ton of regulations and safety concerns... So pickup in OC only.

From what I've read, 1 cup of GFO needs 1 gallon of 1M solution... quick math... 40g of crystals in 1L of water = 1M solution

3.7 L per gallon... 148g per cup of GFO regenerated. 1lb will regenerate 3 cups of GFO so pretty much this "regenerated" GFO costs $2 for 3 cups. That is WAY cheaper than buying new GFO every time by a factor of maybe 10.

Last edited:
Back