Regenerating aluminum oxide PO4 binders.

I have some spent ExtraxPhos from Brightwell which seems to be Phosguard in different packaging. I use GFO but I'd like to try regenerating this aluminum oxide before discarding it.

What should I soak it in? I was thinking of just using RODI but maybe an acid or a base would be better.

I've read that sodium hydroxide is very corrosive to aluminum so I'm not sure which way to go atm :)

Acid would be a lot better than RO/DI which will take very large volumes. I don't have a recipe, but straight vinegar might be worth a shot. Maybe with a little table salt added. The phosphate will be converted into a mix of the poorly binding forms H3PO4 and HPO4- which come off more readily than the more strongly bound HPO4-- and PO4---.

The Kent Phosphate Sponge appears to be the same product.

From the label... "Renewal: For Phosphate removal product may renewed twice and absorption capacity will be reduced greatly each time. To renew spread 1/4" thick on a baking pan. Place in an oven at 450 for one hour. Let cool, rinse and reuse. Do NOT use pan for food"

The idea of the salt is to provide some chloride ion to displace the H2PO4- that might be clinging to positively charged ions on the solid surface (like Al+++).

Back