Reliable Heater

DSDoyle

Hello,

OK, I have had both Finnex and Eheim heaters and both have leaked current into my setup.

Please suggest the heater you feel is the least susceptible of leakage. I do not care if it costs me $500.00 as at least that amount of livestock has been killed!

Trying to keep from cursing like an Irish sailor!

Please advise.

Thank you,

Don

I really like the titanium heaters. Did you have a glass finnex or the titanium one?

If you have an aquarium controller, they sell heaters with or without the temp controller. Check Amazon for them, there are a couple brands. Not much more expensive either.

+1 Finnex titanium.

Only problem is they require a separate controller as they have no internal thermostat. Which also means they are less prone to fail.

Been using 2 for four years with no issues so far.

I had a Finnex titanium and an Eheim glass and it appears both leaked current. I have the Apex temp probe/setup.

Does anyone replace heaters on a regular basis (maybe every 6 months)?

I use an Eheim jager heater but don't submerge them completely, only to the little water level line of the heater. Never had any leakage problems.

I use an Eheim jager heater but don't submerge them completely, only to the little water level line of the heater. Never had any leakage problems.

Correct...even if listed as fully submersible dont run it that way...The joint from glass tube to plastic control top is what can/will fail...Dont put that under water and you wont have any problems.. ..

It seems like everything in my tank leaks voltage. Was at 52v when I checked it and each time I unplugged a device it would drop but never to 0v unless I removed everything. I added a titanium grounding probe and now have 0v consistent. Not really an answer to your question but I now have one in every tank just as a precaution.

And of course ALWAYS...put any and all submerged line powered (direct AC powered) devices on a GFCI protective device (outlet, power strip with GFCI,etc...)
(called RCD in other countries)

The only real benefit (and its a con in some situations) of a ground probe is that it causes your GFCI to trip the instant a fault in excess of its trip point develops.. The con is that the trip can happen when you aren't home or notice it to address the problem..
The con to having a ground probe and no GFCI is that you are now creating a path to ground that isn't normally there.. A path to ground allows current to flow.. Without that path the "voltage/current" is harmless in the tank..

And again... ALL submerged line powered equipment should be protected by a GFCI device..

Back