Reminder

Mental1

Replace those heaters regularly...

Attachments

• danger.JPG
    danger.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
Hubbie and I both think it was the heater. The power strip kept functioning despite this. It had a light, a canister filter, a HOB filter and an air pump all still running. I had smelled it burning about a month ago, the level in the tank had fallen (it's on my QT in the basement) and I thought the strip was getting sprayed so topped the tank up and it seemed to get better. HAHA Today I decided to do some work on the QT, went to unplug the canister and found this. Just a bit shocked!

I had this happen with a lamp and tv plugged into a power strip. Everything still worked, including the power strip. It was during a storm so I think there may have been an electrical surge. This strip did nothing to protect against it. Since then, I no longer buy cheap strips and replace them after a few years.

I'm just glad this was a happy ending! I also realize this wasn't plugged into a GFCI, but the breaker should've tripped. It's just weird.

I would think the plug malfunctioning would cause some kind of a reaction but guess not, per mikecc. maroun.c -- it wasn't loose - I've had heaters do this before -- not the first time.

i don't see how the heater can cause the power strip to burn up. I have had power strips do this before but it was because of salt creep or my dumb mistake of dropping water on it.

The heater malfunctions and either shorts or causes a lot of resistance causing the wire to get really hot ... According to my hubbie.

I'm game to test it, but if it comes on it doesn't mean that it's okay! I will put it in a container of water and plug it into a GFCI in the bathroom. If it's the heater, the GFCI will trip. Does that seem like a fair test?

Would be best to also measure the amp draw to also check for added resistance.
Just make sure to keep ur hands out of the water.

I've seen heaters malfunction and melt the heater parts but not the plug down below. Not saying it can't happen though. I had an outlet strip look like that when I splashed water around my tank be accident and all of the sudden smoke like crazy. Funny thing is nothing ever tripped and all things on the strip stayed on.

Might want to look into creating drip loops with your wiring. Water can easily find it's way onto the wires of various devices while servicing tanks. Once water is on a cable it will find it's way to the first low point due to gravity. If the that point is an outlet strip you could have major problems.

Back