remora skimmer suddenly produces less skimmate.

1sttimer

Prior to getting a skimmer i had hob filters and I was using tap water for water changes . I added the remora and started using distilled water or ro/di and the collecrion cup was filling up with dark green/brown water every 2 days or so. Since last week the collection cup has filled up half way at the most. Is it because the water is cleaner and I stopped using tap water with prime?
35 gallon,with 2 small clowns, 5 turbos and a dozen hermit crabs.
Biola is low so not much to skimm?

Have you cleaned the tube leading up into the collection cup? If not, clean out all the gunk and I bet it'll pick back up again.

Is that a Aqua C skimmer? If so you have to shut it off, and look at the suction pipe under the collection cup. There should be a white plug with a slot in it. Unscrew that and use the cleaning brush. This will clean out the spray nozzle. I cleaned mine out monthly.

Otherwise it could be just that you dont have a lot of bio-load like you mentioned.

Poor clown! Well my guess is that yes since you switched from tap water to RO/DI water and such a low bio-load you will not be skimming much.

My tank which is a 66gal. I have 11 fish, snails, crabs and a bunch of different corals. Im no longer using a Remora skimmer, but mine is set for max skim and I have to empty my cup every 3 days and then its only half full. When I started the tank I was emptying the cup twice a day.

Yeah. Before I was using tap with prime.
Skimmer went a bit nuts. Now that I switched to distilled it calmed down quite a bit.

You mean the rectangle slot where the collection cup fits into?
If so, no I haven't.

No... I mean the tube leading up into the collection cup. You've got the rectangular collection cup, and the tube that comes up through the rectangular cup from below. If the inside of that tube isn't clean, the skimmer won't skim as well.

4400.jpg

Back