Remote tank for 30 gal tank?

woochild86

Should I have a remote refugium tank for a 30 gal tank? I have a protien skimmer two pumps and do water changes once a week. I only have zoanthids, palys, cleaner shrimp, five hermit crabs, frogspawn, feather duster and a green emerald crab.

Do you have the room to do it? it is a definite plus to have more water and also gives you a place to hide all you equipment.

The only place I could put the remote tank is by the side of the stand. I'm just wondering if it is mandatory to havea remote tank when you have soft corals or if I can do it without it.

no you can definitey do without it. just keep in mind with 30 gallons there's not much room for error... so keep a close eye on the water params

+1.

The larger amount of water volume from your remote tank will help a little. Maybe start up another display with the refuge? 120g??? =P

I'm in the process of building a new larger reef tank, right now but it's expensive, so it's taking me a while to put it together.

I have made up my mind, and am going with a 48x18x18 tank which is almost 70 gallons. The manager (genius) at my local reef shop said I should go with at least a 30 gallon Berlin Sump. So I guess this is what I'm doing with. As far as my 30 gallon tank I have now, he said no sump would be "ok" but recommends a sump should always be used with any size tank. I just have no where to put a sump with the 30 gallon, not anywhere that would look good anyway! So I guess for now I'm just not going to use a sump on the 30 for now since it's been doing good for a year now without one. As soon as I find a tank stand for the 30 that has room underneith for sump then I will get a sump for the 30. Everyday this reefing stuff gets more complicated and expensive lol! But it's awesome and totally worth it! Woo Hoo!

Last edited:
Back