Removal of macroalgae

Now3

Hello everyone. I don't know what macroalgae my tank is infested with. I attached a photo if you want to try and ID it. It grows in very dense bushes.

None of my LFS have urchins :( I was planning on doing a blackout and running a skimmer, as this is a new tank using old live rock from another tank.

So what will mess this algae up?
910f55e8f8bb28c81d64a4163b1980bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's pretty tough to say what will take care of this. You might need to experiment.

I've had good luck with mollies acclimated to saltwater. Especially if you don't feed the tank. They'll get hungry and soon remember that they love algae.

Reproducing snails will multiply to reach equilibrium with available algae. You may need to manually remove it to get it down to stubs, before they will eat it. Many of the snails available will reproduce. Get a good variety of them for diversity.

Tangs are not an option for that tank size. And other herbivorous fish are territorial, so they become too mean for that size tank too. Even (especially) herbivorous damselfish!

Sea hare might work. I have no experience with them. Urchins work but also will destroy just about all life, so I consider them a last resort.

Hopefully, some of this helps. Good luck!

Back