Removing center brace on tank

josh27

I'm thinking of removing the brace that runs along the middle of my tank. I just wanted to get some advice on whether or not it would be okay to do. I have a 57g rimless tank that seems to be the same build quality so I don't see too much problem with removing it. Here are some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

I'm no expert here but rimless tanks are built using different methods if I'm not mistaken. I personally wouldn't remove the center brace considering It was put there for a reason. It may be a bit of a hassle but it's better than having your tank fail on you.

I'm no expert here but rimless tanks are built using different methods if I'm not mistaken. I personally wouldn't remove the center brace considering It was put there for a reason. It may be a bit of a hassle but it's better than having your tank fail on you.

They are built the same way and they all use the same RTV silicone. The rimless tank is thicker glass and that makes a huge difference. BTW, I built a 24g rimless frag tank and it's working perfectly, but it's 3/8" glass and only 12" tall. I wouldn't cut it out, but a friend has a 40g tall and the center brace is so soft it's almost like a fabric strap, and it sags in the middle. The sag doesn't go away when the tank is full of water. He wants to remove it and I think he would be OK... but I still wouldn't do it. :eek2:

DON'T DO IT. I responded to another members question like this a while back and without going in to deep detail again. "it's there for a reason" support against water pressure.

Do NOT cut it! You absolutely cannot guarantee the structural integrity of the tank long term without that center brace!

Rimless tanks are built with a much thicker glass (which is why they cost so much more) and are designed not to need that support. Other tanks are not. You MUST keep it in place.

If not, you risk the front pane bowing and eventually cracking.

The center brace is easy to replace with a clear piece of acrylic. Don't fully remove it tho with a full tank or goodbye floors. Get a piece of acrylic and cut it the length of the center brace rim to rim and about 2" wide. Lay the on top of the brace and clamp
It down. Using a drill drill 2 holes on each side through the acrylic and current center brace. Place the acrylic underneath the brace and using nylon bolts secure the acrylic in place. Then using a sort of hand saw, saw off the black brace just inside of the bolts to give it something to hold onto. Voila' a clear center brace.
I did it on my 36. It's super easy. Takes bout 30min or so.

The center brace is there for structural integrity. When the tank is full of water, the glass tends to bow and the center brace keeps it in check.

I have had two tanks crack when the center brace broke. One was a 55 and the other was a 150. Neither was fun.

After all, if they weren't necessary, why would the tank manufacturers put them on in the first place??

Be careful if you decide to replace it with acrylic. I had a bow front that I got second hand and someone had did this. Eventually the pressure put on the brace snapped the plastic screws.

if your decent at diy projects you CAN reomve that whole top trim and replace it with glass ( euro bracing isn't hard ime).

I purchased a USED 90 Gallon Bowfront tank that has a brace. My brother-in-law was cleaning it out for me in the front yard. When he filled it with water and came out to check it, he noticed the tank was on a slight slope.

With the tank completely filled, the center strip started pulling away from the rim on the bowfront side and basically almost fully detached. The bowfront looked like it was going to shatter.

When he removed the water, the bowfront went back into place. Its still barely attached.

Now I am in what can be a similar situation for you. I need to figure out how to fix the center piece. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Back