Removing filter membranes

Daddi0

I picked up a ro/di unit from BRS this summer and it has been chugging right along. It has 5 canisters (sediment, 2 carbons, 2 di ) and 2 membranes. The only possible place to mount it is outside. Well it is 50 degrees out and production grinded to a halt - 0 - all water goes out the waste line. I presume this is normal when it is this cold? The pressure meter showed 0 psi. I removed the membranes from the system 'cause at a minimum I have to have top off water now. I am showing 0 TDS from the outflow. Anyone have any thoughts?
Cheers! Mark

I notice less product water in the winter than the summer.....my ro/di is in the garage but it's not that cold in the S.F. valley......I have an adjustable flow restrictor on the exhaust water so I could force out more product water if I wanted to but I'm at about 2.5/1 in the summer so I haven't adjusted it......

I notice less product water in the winter than the summer.....my ro/di is in the garage but it's not that cold in the S.F. valley......I have an adjustable flow restrictor on the exhaust water so I could force out more product water if I wanted to but I'm at about 2.5/1 in the summer so I haven't adjusted it......
So if I put a shut off on the end of the waste line and turn it til I only get a trickle of waste it is better?

Ok, I plumbed the membrane back into the unit and put a shut off valve on the waste line. I adjusted it so that I only reject a small trickle and am making water. Incoming TDS is 3 and output is 0. Is this gonna be acceptable?
Cheers! Mark
filter unit pressure has gone up from 0 to 20lbs

I don't know how well the filter will handle that setup, but it might be fine. Where are you measuring the pressure? Can you measure the pressure going into the first cartridge.

I have a full set of replacement filters if these foul. My house has 60psi. It is really my only option besides buying water for $1.25 per gallon.
Cheers! Mark

Something is not right...at 50deg you should not be experiencing a total loss of product water like that.. Maybe a 30% change at most..
And where is your pressure gauge located in the system...you should have 60 psi at the inlet..
And close to that further in....0-20psi is not right at all..

Ok, got her figured out. My buddy told me to change out both the carbon filters and now I am at 55psi and making good water.
Cheers! Mark

Back