Removing rock from sump

oshanickreef

Hello fellow reefers. Wanted to get opinions on removing all the rock out of my sump. I noticed an inch or two of goop at the bottom of the sump so I want to clean it up. I have an overstocked tank as it is so I feel that I should be careful in how I remove my rock.

I added a big marine pure block in a connected tank to start seeding it. Also dosing microbacter7 with it. My question is how long should I wait before I start removing rocks from the sump?

I have about 50 lbs in my sump and 75 in the display. 90 gallon tank. Total water volume 135. 30+ fish. Sps dominant.

Thank you in advance,

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you put any rock in with the new MP block?
I would put the rock in a holding container, bin, garbage can with a bag insert for cleanliness while cleaning the sump. All done in plenty of time so the rock can go back in with no ill effects. If you also want to clean the rock rinse it in fresh salt water.

Personally i would take it all out, rinse the rock in saltwater (youll have to use a ton since it will be dirty instantly), then clean the sump, then put the rock back in and slow take out the rock over weeks.

Personally i would take it all out, rinse the rock in saltwater (youll have to use a ton since it will be dirty instantly), then clean the sump, then put the rock back in and slow take out the rock over weeks.

I like this idea. Probably set up 3 or 4 different buckets of saltwater.

With rinsing I assume I will lose a ton of pods. Would that cause I'll affects if I do the rock cleaning and clean out the sump all at once?

Don't clean the sump. All that stuff on the bottom is helping your tank, probably full of all kinds of micro fauna and critters.

I like this idea. Probably set up 3 or 4 different buckets of saltwater.

With rinsing I assume I will lose a ton of pods. Would that cause I’ll affects if I do the rock cleaning and clean out the sump all at once?

I vote definitely have your sump clean. Literally one of the main reasons why people have "old tank syndrome". So i cant remember your setup but i have a small inline pump you can borrow. My sump was on the floor and i couldn't get a siphon going to clean it out.

Back to the question, yes, no doubt you'd lose pods when rinsing it out BUT certainly not enough to make them non-existent. If you really think your fish like a manderian are 100% supported from your sump pod population, you can always dose brine shrimp as a stop gap so the pods can grow back.

Im bringing this up because i just recently got into that part of the hobby, raising gut loaded brine shrimp. I have a TON of eggs for you and a heater i can give.

As far as the bacteria goes on the rock. 100% that microbacteria dosing will have a huge affect on reseeding other surfaces that will end up taking over when you take out the rock.

I vote definitely have your sump clean. Literally one of the main reasons why people have "old tank syndrome". So i cant remember your setup but i have a small inline pump you can borrow. My sump was on the floor and i couldn't get a siphon going to clean it out.

Back to the question, yes, no doubt you'd lose pods when rinsing it out BUT certainly not enough to make them non-existent. If you really think your fish like a manderian are 100% supported from your sump pod population, you can always dose brine shrimp as a stop gap so the pods can grow back.

Im bringing this up because i just recently got into that part of the hobby, raising gut loaded brine shrimp. I have a TON of eggs for you and a heater i can give.

As far as the bacteria goes on the rock. 100% that microbacteria dosing will have a huge affect on reseeding other surfaces that will end up taking over when you take out the rock.

Old tank syndrome is one of those phrases that gets passed around from time to time and is used when someone has an older tank, something goes wonky, and the owner cannot find the cause.

Would you go into more detail as to why you believe this could be the case here? Thanks.

Old tank syndrome is one of those phrases that gets passed around from time to time and is used when someone has an older tank, something goes wonky, and the owner cannot find the cause.

Would you go into more detail as to why you believe this could be the case here? Thanks.

You are correct, that phrase derives from a reefer whom doesn't care for their tank and needs something to blame.
As tanks get established over time people get more complacent on husbandry and upkeep. With that said, little maintenance things start to be missed; why test for PH anymore, its been so stable. Why rinse the filter socks every three days, we can do it every five. Vinegar to clean out the skimmer???? The tanks been so stable!

A great example is the sump. Having a half inch of gunk in the sump isn't normal. Those "old tank syndrome" types will say.... Why clean it, i'm sure it has a purpose.

If you were young and JUST joining the hobby (like we all once were) it would be so obvious that having half inch settled poop in the sump isn't a healthy tank. As we get older in this hobby we make excuses.

Its great that your staying informed and even better that the OP understands to not be complacent in this hobby.

Thanks for the response. Years ago there was a thread here called duplex sump or something similar by Mr. Wilson who discussed creating a cryptic zone with egg crate underneath live rock in a sump. This cryptic zone had lesser water flow and used that material to feed that area.

It is always interesting to see multiple paths for success.

Back