Removing scratches from acrylic tanks

I am in the process of buffing mine right now. It had a lot of scratches, and most of them were deep. I am using the Rainbow Lifeguard scratch removal kit. It has sandpaper from 1500-12,000 grit and a polish. It basically is just a TON of elbow grease. I am on day 3 haha

i have done it to 100 gallon before. i used 2000 grit mostly and tried some hand buffing and it was working pretty good then i tried a buffer for cars and it worked better. just kept it on low speed. takes time but its worth it in the end

Tried with my 54 gallon and gave up after 3 days. Ain't worth my time, just pay See Clear(acrylicscratchrepair.com) to do it if your time is worth more. If I had found out about them before buying a glass tank, would have went that route instead.

Jarhead Rigox 2002

My friend dropped off a 100 gallon acrylic tank at See Clear.
I dont know the condition of the tank prior to being buffed out.
Matt at See Clear charged him $300 to buff it out and drill 3 holes for overflow and returns.

I just finished buffing my used acrylic buy.
First I used 1000grit sand paper
Afterwards, I used the 1500 grit sandpaper
You can buy the sanding papers from a car supply store. Make sure you wet the sandpaper and keep wetting it while srubbing your tank.
After sanding your tank will look very cloudy and that's okay.
Use Novus 2 to buff it. You can use those buffing pads that attach to a drill or good old fashion hand buffing until your tank clears up again.
Wait a day to let Novus 2 to fully dry, then you can use Novus 1 to kinda polish and seal the Novus 2 in.
Then youre done.

I agree, 1000 grit, 1500 grit, I also use 2000/2500. Then Novus 2, then Novus 1. Drill buffing pad is the way to go. Be sure to let Novus 2 dry prior to buffing. Novus 1 you don't wait to dry. Also if your car head lights need a polish it is the same process or just Novus 2 & 1.

If it is small scratches or you don't want to use alot of elbow grease you could use Novus 3 then 2 then 1. Novus 3 is a higher grit buffer.

Novus 1,2, and 3 works very well for me. Just finished polish my friend's tank 96x48x30 take less than half a day. His tank has all kind of scratches some you can feel with your finger nail.

I ordered 8oz of each, the buffing kit, some cloth and speed adjustable drill set at 1000-1200rpm. If you are dealing with deep scratch that can't be remove using Novus 3 after 3-4 times, use 1500 grits sand paper and slowly sand it down.

Here is the finished product.
photo-7.jpg

photo-11.jpg

Novus 1,2, and 3 works very well for me. Just finished polish my friend's tank 96x48x30 take less than half a day. His tank has all kind of scratches some you can feel with your finger nail.

I ordered 8oz of each, the buffing kit, some cloth and speed adjustable drill set at 1000-1200rpm. If you are dealing with deep scratch that can't be remove using Novus 3 after 3-4 times, use 1500 grits sand paper and slowly sand it down.

Here is the finished product.
photo-7.jpg

WOW! Want to come over and buff mine? haha

Back