Replacement bulb recommendation: 400w Radiums too blue

jonwright

So I have 400w Radiums with Luxcore ballast. I think my tank is just too washed-out blue. Pinks and reds are just gone. I've supplemented with aquapink T5's that helped, but not where I want to be.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking if I went with any replacements I'd go back with 250's as even with the radiums to get around 300 par in the tank I had the lights as far up as they could go. I'm using lumen bright mini reflectors.

maybe some 14k 250's would put me right back in the neighborhood with PAR and give a better overall spectrum.

So I have 400w Radiums with Luxcore ballast. I think my tank is just too washed-out blue. Pinks and reds are just gone. I've supplemented with aquapink T5's that helped, but not where I want to be.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking if I went with any replacements I'd go back with 250's as even with the radiums to get around 300 par in the tank I had the lights as far up as they could go. I'm using lumen bright mini reflectors.

maybe some 14k 250's would put me right back in the neighborhood with PAR and give a better overall spectrum.

Are you using the HQI setting? Over driven Radiums are more white.

Personally I've always like 14 Phoenix with supplements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, its personal taste but I've always liked Radium 20K 400 watt and find them white / blue. Takes a few weeks to burn in sometimes. But I like Iwasaki 400 watt too.

Joe

Interesting, its personal taste but I've always liked Radium 20K 400 watt and find them white / blue. Takes a few weeks to burn in sometimes. But I like Iwasaki 400 watt too.

Joe

Yes, 400 Radium on the original PFO HQI ballasts (430 Son Agro), ran the bulbs a crisp white, with hint of blue. No electronic ballast built can replicate this. If using 250's, the ballast choices are better fits.

The Iwasaki is an incredible bulb, especially combined with VHO super actinic.

Back