Replacement pump head tubing Dos

jdamon

Has anyone used Norprene 1/4" od, 1/8" I'd tubing (Cole parmer) for the roller portion of tubing inside the pump head? $50 for 50', not bad considering changing the pump head is $30 each plus shipping. Already have new rollers. Thanks!

Last edited:

Let us know how it works for you.

Sure!

I changed out one of the tubes so far, very easy (just need 2 new 4" tie wraps for each pump head). I went through the calibrate step in apex, and it was right on, no need to re do the calibration. The size looked to be the same, and this was confirmed when checking the pumps flow in apex. The only issue was the volume, it was pretty loud compared to stock. I think it just needs some lubrication, so I ordered glycerine, that's what's compatible with the norprene. Should be here tomorrow, will update after that again.

Last edited:

Update,

Got the glycerine and swapped out the other tube tonight. This pump head was out of calibration a bit, most likely cause I use it a lot more (kalk dosing ~4L a day). They both still make a little more noise than before the change, even after a liberal application of the glycerine. It's kind of a squeaky noise at the end of a rotation. Hopefully the tubing just needs to break in a bit... It does dose the desired amount consistently though, so that's a plus:)

A lot less noise this morning :). Just needed to break in a bit. I think the tubing may be slightly thicker in wall thickness? Or the norprene is just a little less pliable than what came with it.

Update:

Pump is running perfectly with the new tubing. It is still a little bit more noisy than stock, but barely noticeable. I was looking around on the McMaster site again, and I think "durable Tygon" 52035K may also be a good option. It's rated the same as far as compatibility, and it comes in 1/16" and 1/32" wall thickness. If it's slightly softer than the Norprene, the same 1/4" od, 1/16" id (1/16" wall thickness) should work great. It's a bit more expensive ~$5 per foot, but I think I may order to compare. Will post the results.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

But for whatever reason, the link I gave you sent you to the tubing main page. What I was trying to link to was the tubing made for peristaltic pumps.

See if this one works.

If not, on the main page select High purity white silicone tubing for peristaltic pumps.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#peristaltic-metering-pump-tubing/=11eavsz

Your link goes to the main page of tubing again. I chose the norprene because the compatibility with methanol seemed slightly better, and is also commonly used with peristaltic pumps. I am dosing kalk and Red Sea NoPox, which has methanol in it.

https://www.bnl.gov/esh/shsd/PDF/Compressed_gas/Chem_Comp_Tubing_Material.pdf

The Tygon cured with platinum looks pretty good too, and may be more pliable. Are you using the 1/16" or 1/32" wall thickness?

Already received the "high purity white silicone tygon" tubing from McMaster, love that place! I ordered it on Friday night and it was here today (Monday), amazing :)

This stuff is way more pliable than the norprene I originally ordered and tried. Whatever came with the pump from the factory, is closer in texture and color to the norprene. But, the original tubing is softer than the norprene I bought. And then the tygon is way softer than both. I am mildly concerned that the tygon may not hold up as well to the kalk, as the pH is very high. Will just have to keep an eye on that. The noise level is lower with the tygon.

I just looked again at the compatibility chart I linked too previously, and this tubing should be completely fine with kalk solution. I am just being paranoid as this new tubing is not exactly the same as what came with the pump from the factory... Looks good though, I am very happy with it so far.

Update: tubing seems to be fine, dosing the stated amount. It's only been 20 days or so, but I am pretty confident this will be good for at least 6 months. Am thinking it should be fine for a year. Will measure monthly to see how it's doing and inspect the tubing.

Update: tubing is still fine, dosing correct amount. It's been 4 months or so now. The only thing I notice and am slightly concerned about is the quality of the rollers... Manufacturer recommends replacing them with tubing, and I am seeing them start to be a little noisier and hesitate a tiny bit when dosing. May have to replace those sooner than later. I had the Avast dosing pump prior to this one, and it happens to be the same pump head assembly. Maybe there is a way to obtain those for less than $30 a pop, as they are definitely cheaply made and can't cost the resellers more than a few bucks. I'll see what I can find.

Avast has the rollers (even though they have since changed the peristaltic pump they sell). They are getting back to me with a price...

As an aside, my Dos pump stopped working yesterday, and after some trouble shooting I am pretty sure the problem was the connections to the pump head. I have the 1/4" pex going right in, and one side was split, and the other was just loose. I recut the end with the split and it still did not work until I recut the other one too. I have also tried the short piece of soft tubing and Mur loc Union, but I can't get that to work... A calcium reactor is sounding better and better, just wish I had space under my tank :(

Avast says $8 for the roller and they have 4 rollers instead of 2, bonus! I'm gonna order a couple and try them out, will post my findings.

Have had one of the avast "4 rollers" running on my Dos for 2 months, works like a charm. I already ordered a second and replaced the 2nd pump head.

I figured out a better way to connect my 1/4" peek feed lines also. I used a short piece of the replacement peristaltic tubing I got from McMaster from the pump head fitting and just pulled the other end over the end of the peek and secured with a zip tie. My liter meter uses this technique, and it works great. I will try to remember to post a pic. Hope that helps!

Back