Reposting here (no response in newcomer category): Wartskin angler?

reeferoni

Reposting this question here as I didn't get any responses in the "newbie" section...:

Hi, I'm sort of new to saltwater (had my tank about a year) but I'm new to the forum so thought I'd start out here.

I have a small wartskin anglerfish in my 120 gallon reef tank (I don't keep shrimp, only large hermits and snails, corals, and a few larger fish). Anyway, I haven't been able to get him to take any dead food yet... tried soaking things in Kent garlic extreme, wiggling whole defrosted silversides enticingly before him... no luck. He'll only eat live ghost shrimp.

Anyone been able to wean theirs onto frozen foods?

Your best bet at weaning an angler is during QT...in fact, IMHO/IME anglers really don't belong in a community setting and do best in species tanks. They can eat fish up to twice their size, and many fish will pick at them since they look like rocks/sponges. That being said, garlic won't do diddly to entice them.

How are you presenting the food when you say you wiggle it in front of the fish?

How large is the fish? Warties only grow to about 4"-4.5" or so, and you may be offering it food that is too large. In fact, anglers that eat too much or too large a prey item are at risk of having said food begin to decompose in their GI tract due to their slow metabolism (of course, this kills the fish).

How often do you feed it? Anglers really only need feeding a couple of times a week, and if the fish isn't on the hungry side, it will hold out for live food.

For some feeding tips, give this article a read:

Tools of the Trade: Equipment & Techniques to Convert your Fish onto Frozen.

I strongly suggest you make yourself a "stealth stick" as described in the article. It makes a huge difference in weaning and feeding in general.

HTH

I wouldnt keep one in anything larger than a 40 and it would indeed be a species only tank. I cant really add anything to the above advice. Try fasting him for a week and try again. Post up some pics. I love these guys.

Back