Response

rmarc005

I had the fish store check our water they said "everything" was O.K. except the calcium was a bit low- I think they said it was around 360? Does that make sense? My PH has been normal since we got the tank. This was an established tank already- the coraline algae was fine up until now..

highly possible that only the calcium is off. have you been adding anything to buffer it? what was the alkalinity at?

You need your own tests. You need a refractometer for salinity, Salifert alk and Salifert cal, and probably the respective additives: I use Kent DkH and Kent Turbo Cal. At some point you'll need to know in a pinch, and the store will be closed.

Re: Response

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8065907#post8065907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rmarc005
I had the fish store check our water they said "everything" was O.K. except the calcium was a bit low- I think they said it was around 360? Does that make sense? My PH has been normal since we got the tank. This was an established tank already- the coraline algae was fine up until now..

If your corralline is turning white, the low Ca makes sense. A Ca additive would help, of course you'll need to test the water yourself to know how much to add and when to stop. I agree with Sk8r about the Salifert Ca and KH tests, at the very least.

Back