Return Bulkhead Connection

51fathoms

I am upgrading from a 55 to a 110 tank. How do you connect the return pump to the threaded bulkhead? I have tried multiple fittings to attach to the threaded piece and none will seal on the threads without leaking. Is there a specific fitting for this purpose? I believe its an 1 1/4 bulkhead. thanks

Teflon tape wrapped around the threads, 1.25 seems large for a return line, what size if your drain?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tape "can" cause more problems. You can crack the bulkhead-making it leak. That failure isn't always obvious.

I'd suggest paste.

HTH

Of all my connections, I find threaded PVC into threaded ABS bulkhead connections always are the most leak-prone for me. I generally use a healthy amount of pipe joint compound (I use oatey great white brand) on the PVC side, tighten as far as I can by hand and then do another quarter turn with a wrench. Do not go tighter as you don't want to break anything. That normally does the job for me.

If at this point you still have a really tiny leak, you can probably just leave it be and the salt creep will eventually block it up.

Are you trying to connect to the threads on the inside of the bulkhead or to the ones on the outside? The inside threads are simple - a small amount of pipe dope (PTFE thread sealant) will do the trick every time. That's what it's designed for and is 100% reef safe.

If it's the outside threads, nothing you do will work properly. Those threads are not designed for use with PVC at all. They are for the bulkhead nut only. PVC threads are slightly tapered - those are not, and are probably cut at a different pitch anyway.

Are you trying to connect to the threads on the inside of the bulkhead or to the ones on the outside? The inside threads are simple - a small amount of pipe dope (PTFE thread sealant) will do the trick every time. That's what it's designed for and is 100% reef safe.

If it's the outside threads, nothing you do will work properly. Those threads are not designed for use with PVC at all. They are for the bulkhead nut only. PVC threads are slightly tapered - those are not, and are probably cut at a different pitch anyway.

i was wondering the same thing. my first time plumbing a RR tank i thought the outside threads were the ones you used (i didn't realize i had got a slip bulkhead) and was REALLY upset in the PVC aisle of Lowe's trying to find something that fit it.

OP, i've moved to using barbed fittings for my returns in most cases. the threaded pvc can be a real pita to get sealed. typically i buy slips x slip bulkheads, and glue in a barbed fitting on a small tailpiece to the bottom of the bulkhead. makes things a lot easier, and then you can use flexible tube to route the plumbing. i usually throw a hose clamp over top just to make sure the fitting doesn't come loose.

Back