Return pump advice

Josecuervo1

Hello !!!
I have a 75 gal DT and installing a sump/fuge with skimmer. I still need to buy the overflow box and the return pump and that's where I need some help.
The skimmer i have is driven by a Mag 5. I would love to have the return line split by a "Y" fitting and place them on both sides of the tank. Is this a good idea or should I forget it and just go single ?? Still need to know what size pump ( GPH ) I would need for it. Thanks in advance !!

Great. Thank you so much. For the return pump though, still stick with the 600 gph pump even if I split the return line ??

Great. Thank you so much. For the return pump though, still stick with the 600 gph pump even if I split the return line ??

you want a pump that does 300gph after head pressure, like a mag 5.
600gph is for the overflow capacity.

yes, the same for split return.

Steer away from Rio return pumps. Mine has been operating reliably since I've had it (<1yr), but it imparts noticeable heat into the system. My Mag3 (on a HOB skimmer, different system) has been running like a champ for years in the face of extreme maintenance neglect on my part. When I upgrade systems and need a new/bigger return I'll probably get an Eheim for all the good things I've heard (quietness, efficiency).

So should I get something like a mag 7 for a single return line or if I want to split them go with a mag 9.5 ?? Hopefully I'll make my purchase tomorrow, cant wait to put this sump/fuge to work !!!

I've read the Mag line of pumps produce more heat than others. I have an Eheim and it's very quiet and runs cool.

As far as splitting, I'd personally go for more pump so it can be split to run reactors also if needed.

I do not have any experience with that particular pump. Pump seems to be very versatile and not a bad price either.

The folks at Catalina are nice and have been helpful when I had questions.

CA1800_Lockline_300px.jpg

Catalina Aquarium CA 1800 Aqua Pump / Powerhead triple venturi aquarium pump with Lockline is fully submersible and excellent for triple venturi pump can be used for circulation, sump pump, protein skimmer, or power head. Low energy consumption, high water output.

Includes:

Lockline and two pre-filters
1/2 inch exhaust barbed fitting to take flexible tubing
12 Foot grounded cord
Ceramic shaft
Three venturis for protein skimmer

Output: 650GPH
Power: 43W

I just upgraded from a mag 5 to a mag 9.5 on my 58 I went with the oversized pump to run a gfo reactor, carbon reactor, and most likely an ATS, as well as my split returns.

Back