Return Pump for 70g Cube, easy question

Zak77

I recently removed my 100 gallon basement sump and put in a small sump in the cabinet of my 70g cube reef tank. I needed the space in the basement back and the massive amount of evaporation was causing my woodworking equipment to rust very badly and quickly. Currently I'm using a Max Drive 7 as my return pump and the water flow seems to be nearly perfect but it's an older pump (about 11 years old) and it's LOUD. Vibrating like crazy and since I work from home and the tank is in my home office I need a quiet pump. I've had external return pumps for so long that I have not looked at submersible pumps in many many years. I'm thinking maybe a quiet one, Eheim compact pump. What other pumps should I look at and what do you experts recommend? Looking at 700-800gph. Inside the tank I have a Koralia 225, a Koralia 750 and an Ecotech MP10.

Thanks.
Zak

I assume you have a "Mag" Drive 7 pump. If you are running it externally that could be why it is loud. This pump can be run submersible, maybe worth a try to see if that makes a difference. my Mag 9.5 in the return chamber (lower right corner of the pict below.

Yup, I meant Mag Drive. Not sure why I said Max Drive though I do have a few small maxi jets pumps laying around.

My Mag Drive 7 is submerged and still making a ton of noise. Probably just old and I used it for a few years as a fountain pump for an old small koi pond.

Bump.
I'm reading through older posts, but I have basicly the same size tank and the same needs. New quiet submersed return pump pushing about 900GHP. My tank is in the living room so the noise level it puts out is my biggest concern, heating would be the second. No AC and it gets almost 90* in the house a few days each year.

I was thinking about a Quiet One but I can't remember if the seals are deesigned for saltwater or not.

thanks

Last edited:
Back