return pump, Inside the tank or outside the tank

ynot65

My tank is the 150 and im thinking that I need 1500gph min based on the 10x flow that seems to be the recommended ratio. Should I put it inside or outside the sump? I do plan to house some SPS corals so I know they require flow. Whats your advise on it ?

jinks

What kind of sump are you planning? To me external are worth it on larger tank (210+), if you are going to have other things in line, or when you need to move water from something like a basement sump. I also like them for closed loop or when you have lots of back pressure like with penductors. For just a normal under the tank sump on that size tank an in sump would be my pick. Easy to plumb and clean. Lots of good options in that size like some of the larger mags. Both would be a fine pick for that tank size. In sump are just nice and easy to use and set up. Don't need all the valves and drains. easy to swap a new one in if you decide to try a new model.

TeHGuy

depending on head loss, Id look at a DC pump. THey can run internal or external.

As for what is better to do?

If the pump is internal, you may have more issues with it warming up your tank. Depending on climate this can be good or bad.

External leaves more opportunity for leaks. But minimizes the above heat problem.

Ron Reefman

depending on head loss, Id look at a DC pump. THey can run internal or external.

As for what is better to do?

If the pump is internal, you may have more issues with it warming up your tank. Depending on climate this can be good or bad.

External leaves more opportunity for leaks. But minimizes the above heat problem.

Extremely well stated. +1

billdogg

I have 1 sytem with an external pump (DART), and a 2nd system with an internal pump (eheim 1262). There are good and bad sides to both, and they both work equally as well. If space in the sump is a concern, go external (it's just one more bulkhead) If your sump is oversized (as if there could actually be such a thing) you can go internal and not have to worry about that extra bulkhead or whether the seals will fail on the pump.

KeepNitReel

How about 4-5 times the flow on the return pump and two wp40's for the real flow inside the tank?
Edit: external return

viggen

I have a internal return pump and also metal halide lighting..... And my heater still kicks on during the summer!

Yes a 80w pump will add 80w of heat to the tank.... And like stated good and bad with either way you go. I have used external on just about every tank I have owned. Present tank I actually went both ways and prefer internal. The biggest issue for me is noise.... Most external pumps make to much noise for me.... If I was doing a new tank and had to go external I would take a good look at the blowhole line from sequence.

Numerous internal pumps would also work..... Also no need pushing 10x a hr turnover via your sump. Like stated shoot for 2-5x then add a closed loop or power heads (very happy with my vortech pumps) to give you the extra in tank flow.

MidwesternTexan

Average Joe
A few days ago I went from a Marineland 5500 - internal, to a Jaebo DC12000- also in
internal. My set up is for internals and I do plumb my sump in my basement, DT is in the family room.

The Marineland 5500 was really nice, but this DC12000- with a slightly smaller orifice/fititng on top or the pump- it still puts out 50% more flow at 10ft head, with a 180 over the top of the DT!

This thing is absolutely SILENT. I run LEDs, in WI., so I like what little heat it adds, as my heaters are always tirckling on as well.

I've never went with an external, so I can't comment, except for that yhou can still get more flow, and more watts from an external.

Timber77

external is my choice,, i think the best innovation over the last 20 years has been that you can eliminate ac wires directly in the water nowadays. been shocked by a short in a powerhead a few times… plus external pumps run cooler mags are plain loud,

Meanie

I don't rely on the return pump for flow. That's what the power heads/wave makers are for. The return pump is just to get "cleaned" water back to the DT. Like the others have stated, heat would be the only concern.