Return Pump Problem

warden13

My return pump occasionally looses suction but continues to run. I don't know if this is a maintenance issue since I have been having issues with my power heads ever since I started to use kalkwasser. Is this a sign that the pump just needs to be cleaned or is the pump on its way out?

Warden,

Clean it. When you open up the pump, I bet you will find the impeller "dirty" and coated with calcium deposits. Do not run the pump if it is not pumping. You will fry it the pump. Let us know how the pump looks when you open it.

Cheers,
Chris

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14817915#post14817915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by guntercb
Warden,

Clean it. When you open up the pump, I bet you will find the impeller "dirty" and coated with calcium deposits. Do not run the pump if it is not pumping. You will fry it the pump. Let us know how the pump looks when you open it.

Cheers,
Chris

i agree with Chris give it a good clean and dont run it like thatmy uncle one like that one time and it fryed on him lol cuz it had allot of calcium inside of it

hmmmm let your pump sit in vinegar for a while to remove any calcium deposits. Then scrub with a tooth brush or non anti-midew coated sponge. It should loosen the impeller wheel and allow more flow. Rinse with water. Best thing to use to clean them with out fear of harmful chemicals being introduced into the tank.

definitely take care of this....

excess friction = excess heat, which magnets don't like....

go ahead, ask how I know :)

kalk, especially overdoses like to build up on pump parts.

super easy to clean, good info above.

Back