Return pump question

Pastor Salty

I have a 30 gallon sump and the mag 5 isn't working that well right now. Would a mag 24 be too much? I do have double gate valves on the return lines

I have a 30 gallon sump and the mag 5 isn't working that well right now. Would a mag 24 be too much? I do have double gate valves on the return lines

Heck I took a mag 24 off my old 180gal and put a mag 18. I still run that mag 18 on my now 95gal and it moves a lot. I run the same 40gal sump now on the 95 as I did my 180.

I was running a mag 12 with a 6' to 7' foot lift, the DT is 65 gallon with a 20g frag and a 40g sump. The mag 12 was more than the drain line could handle, even with a 7' lift, it sounded like a toilet flushing and would have a mad rush of water in the in the basement. If you have an 1.5 drain or 2 drain lines you should be fine.

Could the problem be a pressure issue? I don't see any leaks. The line is only about 4 feet tall with 2 90 degree elbows.

SO I am starting to think the culprit with my sump having too much water in it was not the return pumps issue but my Tunze ATO system siphoning with RODI water. Seems that the Tunze system has been siphoning fresh water back into the systtem which caused my salinty to drop immensely and lost a bunch of corals.

Not really happy about this right now....... :furious:

I've never used a Tunze ATO. Is the outlet for fresh water under the water line in your sump? I have a regular ATO with a separate water line that sits above the water line in my sump so it doesn't create a siphon.

A check valve prevents that. Most ATO's I have seen recommend them, but I have never dealt with the Tunze.

I had a similar issue with my ATO. I found that when my FW reserve was full siphoned into the sump. I had to lengthen and raise the output line to stop it. But like everyone above has noted, make sure your water line is not submerged. I have my water falling about 2" to keep salt creep off the line.

Back