Return Pump Recommendations

adamstipo

I am in the building stages of a 150g MR with a 55g sump. I have a Glass-Holes 1500g overflow kit already installed and was wanting some ideas for good submersible return pumps. I would like to get one near the 1500 GPH mark, and need one that can be as quiet as possible. Let me know what you use or what you would use for this setup.
Thanks

Most literature recommends a return pump sized to turn your system volume over between 3 and 5 times per hour.

Assuming 200G volume, you should be looking at 1000Gph max.
Aqua Medic Ocean Runner 3500 should work well

Most literature recommends a return pump sized to turn your system volume over between 3 and 5 times per hour.

What are the negatives to water pumping through your system too fast? Like say I did go with a 1500 GPH pump that puts me at 7.5 time an hour?

Also do you personally use this pump? How is the noise level?

putting 1500gph through your return is probably going to be loud. You also want to leave some room and not use a pump to exactly match your overflow. What happens if algae builds up or a snail gets in there? You will overflow your tank.

I can't really recommend a pump, but I wouldn't put more than 5x the display volume through a sump per hour.

I would look at an eheim 1262. I used them on all my tanks. They are silent internal/external and will run forever.

putting 1500gph through your return is probably going to be loud. You also want to leave some room and not use a pump to exactly match your overflow. What happens if algae builds up or a snail gets in there? You will overflow your tank.

I can't really recommend a pump, but I wouldn't put more than 5x the display volume through a sump per hour.

I am glad that someone addressed this because I was gonna try and match the overflow. Now I know this may not be the best idea.

Also do you personally use this pump? How is the noise level?
I have the whole range of their pumps running in my systems.
This includes the
OR1200 - 18w
OR2500 (sump pump on my 120G system) - 38w
OR3500 (original sump pump on my 300G system)
and the OR6500. (new pump on above) - 95w
The latter, a big 6500lph pump did hum a bit when new, but is dead silent now, once it slimed up a bit. I went bigger on my main reef tank because I run 2 bleed offs to a fuge and frag tank. This together with a 5ft lift, I was loosing too much flow with the smaller OR3500.

Their pumps are relatively energy efficient, a OR3500 only consumes 65w.

One tip, when installing, I prefer to use a piece of flexible PVC piping when joining pump to hard pipework. Also good to insert a small rubber shim wherever hard piping touches glasswork, this also reduces noise and vibration.

I have the whole range of their pumps running in my systems.
This includes the
OR1200 - 18w
OR2500 (sump pump on my 120G system) - 38w
OR3500 (original sump pump on my 300G system)
and the OR6500. (new pump on above) - 95w
The latter, a big 6500lph pump did hum a bit when new, but is dead silent now, once it slimed up a bit. I went bigger on my main reef tank because I run 2 bleed offs to a fuge and frag tank. This together with a 5ft lift, I was loosing too much flow with the smaller OR3500.

Their pumps are relatively energy efficient, a OR3500 only consumes 65w.

One tip, when installing, I prefer to use a piece of flexible PVC piping when joining pump to hard pipework. Also good to insert a small rubber shim wherever hard piping touches glasswork, this also reduces noise and vibration.

Thanks alot. I may go with the 6500 and run my BRS dual reactor off of the return? Does anyone see any problems in doing this?

Back