Rhinopias and Morays

lonzoencho

Good Evening Forum,
I am interested in hearing opinions upon keeping a small Rhinopias Frondosa and different species of moray eels together. The two would be housed in a 29 gallon aquarium filtered by an AquaClear 70 and a Fluval 205. Currently the system is a mixed reef and is being skimmed by a Reef Octopus BH-1000. It has 50 pounds of (some of which would be cleared for the Rhinopias). The species of eels in question include Echidna Nebulosa(Snowflake Eel), Echidna Polyzona (Banded Eel), Gymnothorax Melatremus (Hawaiian Dwarf Moray), and Gymnothorax Milaris (Golden Brazilian Eel). I have the first third in my possession currently and will be acquiring the fourth within the coming month. All are small(Under 12") now and eating Selcon-soaked krill, and mysis. Any suggestions/comments are appreciated. Sorry for being so lengthy

That's a large bioload for a 29 gallon tank. With 50 pounds of rock you don't have much water volume left.

I figured as much. I would likely only keep the Hawaiian and the Brazilian moray if possible to be housed with the Rhinopias.

In my opinion a 29 gallon tank is not large enough for most of the fish you have mentioned including the Rhinopias

I've read Rhinopias are extremely benthic and don't require large amounts of space and the morays tend to coil?

We could stuff you in a closet for your entire life, feed you and clean up your poop, but you wouldn't be very happy would you? Rhinopias get as long as your tank is wide, and the volume is so small that a messy eater like a Rhinopias would be a recipe for disaster. Add in some eels "coiled" up and cramped in there and I cant imagine a scenario where you would keep them alive for very long.
I recommend a heavily filtered 40 breeder minimum for one Rhinopias. Also the eel needs to be pretty big because Rhinopias are a fish eater.

We could stuff you in a closet for your entire life, feed you and clean up your poop, but you wouldn't be very happy would you? Rhinopias get as long as your tank is wide, and the volume is so small that a messy eater like a Rhinopias would be a recipe for disaster. Add in some eels "coiled" up and cramped in there and I cant imagine a scenario where you would keep them alive for very long.
I recommend a heavily filtered 40 breeder minimum for one Rhinopias. Also the eel needs to be pretty big because Rhinopias are a fish eater.

+1 on this, sound response
Not to be a bummer or anything but the eels you are looking at (excluding the gdm) need IMO at least a 4ft long tank, and the bigger the better. So you are looking at 55 gal minimum, with 75 gal being better for volume and water quality.
Even the GDM, which would do okay in that size tank would likely be eaten by the Rhinopias.

Just a recommendation here, but I have a Golden dwarf moray and they are funky little dudes! I would say get one of these and build your stocking list around the dwarf moray, maybe have a few damsels or clowns to go with it. But thats just me.
Good luck!

Thank you for the responses guy,
My hands are tied in regards to tank size right now(space limitations)but I work at an LFS and can upgrade once I move. If all else fails my co-worker will house any of the eels/ Rhinopias for me. I've kept numerous smaller eels before in a 29 and had a high degree of success. The Rhinopias is the smallest I have seen in a while and I figured I would have a solid 6 months before I go to my 90. I recognize this is not the ideal setup and everything could use more space, I was more concerned on the compatibility of the creatures.

Finally redid the tank, took the Rhinopias out of QT, and removed the snowflake... So far everyone is happy and there have been no incidents (please excuse the glass streaks, the rocks on the sand bed, and the blue dot Sea Hare trying to photogenic)

4edygu3a.jpg
y5y2ejyd.jpg

Besides the tank being really small, to be honest, I wouldn't trust the eels with the Rhino. Altho the Rhinopias could eat a small eel, I've had eels go postal after being model citizens. Besides, the only eel that will fit into your setup is G. melatremus (GDM).

You could get away with keeping the Rhino in the 29 for awhile (I'd be sure it has a nice amount of open substrate), but even then, it will need to be rehoused eventually. Do be sure to wean the fish onto non-living foods if it already isn't weaned.

Will be sure to take your advice into account. Thank you. I plan on upgrade to a 75 or 80 frag within 6-8 months ... So far the Rhinopias will strike but not swallow silversides with the occasional damsel in between. In regards to the compatibility I know success is a long term phrase but so far there have been no issues

I will note through the help of Chemi-Pure Elite, a weekly water change, lots of macroalgae the water quality has been great. Ammonia:0.0 Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate: 2-3 ppm, Phosphate .5 ppm, pH:8.4, SG: 1.026

Back