Ricky's 120 Gallon Mixed Reef

I'm looking into buying a new protein skimmer, I'm not happy with getting 3-4 ounces of somewhat dark skimmate daily from my AquaC EV-120. I am looking at purchasing the Octopus Extreme 200, does anyone have suggestions on whether I should stick with what i have or spend the $290 on a new skimmer? Will I see a big difference in the Octo Extreme from the AquaC?

36 hours of skimming
IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

Would this sump design minimize microbubbles reaching the DT? The skimmer will be on the left side, will this design keep the skimmer sections water level stable?

120gSump-1.png

Where's your drain, and how will it discharge to the sump? And, where is the return pump going? I would assume the drain would feed the left section where the skimmer is, and there will be a submersible return, maybe the Mag 12 in the right side?

Adding two simple bubble towers to recieve your drain and skimmer discharge will help too. You can get much fancier with built intowers, but just a piece of 4" scd 40 PVC with some 1" holes drilled in the near the bottom will do.

On your earlier skimmer question, I have no experience with the AquaC, but do run mesh modded Sicci on my ASM (which I think the Octo does too) and I like that skimmer a lot!

How about some fresh coral pics?

Very nice pics. I really like the looks of the mixed reef with all of the different colors and textures.

Do you think that you could give us a brief rundown of how you take your pictures? Like what do you use to set the white balance, tripod/no tripod, fstop, shutter speed, etc. I'm trying to take pictures and your look amazing.

Not sure, I no longer have the Canon 5D. If you look at my photobucket you can click on more info and see what settings I used for each shot.

I made sure to cover all the surrounding windows so I would not see glare in the photos. I also shot all the photos between 1250 and 1600 ISO. Having a f/2.8 camera lens helps a lot! Shutter speed was usually around 1/100-1/120.

Back