Right wattage for me

Rothaquatix

I'm aware there are calculators for this sort of thing but I'd rather hear it from a real person can someone please recomend which of the following I should purchase?.... I've decided on the 72" Belize sun Hamilton fixture and am contemplating 3x 150 watt or 3x 250 watt... Electric bill doesn't concern me as much as my corals well being.. To the tank.. It's an ocianic 180 bowfront 25 inches tall 6 feet wide and 24.5 inches deep... I have many Lps species now but plan to focus primarily on sps in the future right now I've got one 150 watt pendant mh and the aquascape is just a tall pile in the middle of the tank lots of swimming room as u can imagine I with re- scape as needed but I want to go as powerfull as possible without killing my lps or bleaching any of my sps what do u all recomened?

I'd go with the 250's for the future SPS plans.. IMO. the bow's are tall-ish tanks and the extra wattage will be nice. I'd recommend acclimating your corals to the light though. Either use egg crate or black screen netting over the top of your tank and remove the layers one by one. (Shorten your photo period as well.) Also be sure to watch your corals closely to be sure they're not bothered by the light.

Thats what I thought.. that black net idea is genius...you are right it is a tall tank its a good think Im 6'5 otherwise Id need a stool or something,,I am used to just reaching in to move corals for acclimation, this sounds legit and will save my arm much stress! ha thanks cant wait to see it in action !

Haha. For what it's worth; I have a 72 gallon bow and I have 2 x 250's. I'm able to use 20,000K Radium bulbs (which I love) and get great coloration and (hopefully) good growth. I can keep my beloved purple LTA on the sand and will be able to keep SPS almost anywhere. LPS/Zoas just have to be put in a shaded spot for a little and then slowly moved out.

Works well, especially since I'm starting to get more and more sucked in by the SPS corals.

Back